Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

6.01.2009

Imagine the Possibilities

At times I think shopping for art supplies is far more satisfying than looking at my finished creation. There's just something about getting lost among all those tubes of color. I guess it's about the anticipation. Or maybe some of us simply admire handsome wood-handled brushes and stretched linen.

Paper Source offers a selection of bookbinding tools that make me want to take up the craft. For beginners who desire an easier route, there is a self-adhesive linen bookcloth tape sold by the roll. (I can't remember if this has already been widely publicized in the blogosphere, so I thought I'd share.) Widths range from roughly one to three inches. Although it was designed to be used on the spines of handmade books, I'm sure many people buy it for other projects -- perhaps to use as trim. You can see it in action here.

BTW: Ruthie Sommers' paintings are satisfying to look at. Shown at top, her outdoor studio photographed by Melanie Acevedo for the premiere issue of domino.

6 comments:

Blushing hostess said...

I agree and I am hardly an artist but there is something about color that can convince me to buy any sort of art supply... you don't think this means I am impulsive do you? Wink.

Style Court said...

And the cost of art supplies can really add up! I've tried to get better about thinking it through before I buy :)

Janet said...

So true! One of my favorite parts of starting a new needlepoint canvas is pulling all the treads, laying them out and looking at how all the colors work together.

Style Court said...

Janet, yes! Like looking at rolls of paper or spools of ribbon, too.

Ideezine said...

I also enjoy all kinds of paper even paper bags! I save the bags and reuse the paper by restyling for cards or gift wrap.
Great fun!

Bette

Sanity Fair said...

I have such a paper problem - I can't help buying pretty things I like. But I always, always find a use for them! Recently I've begun framing Japanese paper scraps in matching frames - it looks great.