Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

6.02.2009

A Bouquet of Pencils

The day raced by leaving no time to finish a proper post, but I want to share another of Janet Blyberg's striking photographs. This one captures the essence of yesterday's post and reminds me of that economical, no-fuss detail that designers often talk about.

When the peonies are gone, or simply cost too much, brighten up your desk with freshly sharpened pencils.

Second image courtesy Ruthie Sommers.


And while I'm thinking about crisp, clear color and painting and drawing, here is another great vignette from the Sommers achive.

12 comments:

Pigtown-Design said...

i swear, that girl is such a talent!

Style Court said...

Meg, she is. They both are!

A Life More Fabulous said...

The bouquet of pencils reminds me of the line from the movie 'You've Got Mail' - so cute.

- and I agree, Ruthie's amazing!

Mrs. Blandings said...

Nearly a quote from one of my favorite movies. Might have to watch it again.

Alicia said...

"Bouquets of sharpened pencils."
Meg Ryans character in "You've Got Mail".
I'll go with the giant color pack from the art store.

pve design said...

Sharp. Sharp pencils standing at attention in a pretty cup. What a pretty vignette.

Blushing hostess said...

The pencils and peonies make me happy. A great example of how everydau things can and should be apprciated.

An Aesthete's Lament said...

Sharpened pencils but all in one colour ... it's the best look, at least on my desk, where the pencils are black and stored in a mercury-glass cup.

Karena said...

I have the pencil bouquets both at home and work office and love the look of brightness!

my favorite and my best said...

for....poking out your eyes when the peonies are gone???

Janet said...

Currently on my desk: peonies and pencils. The petals are starting to drop ~ the true definition of "nature morte" (sigh). At the very least, the pencils will keep me going when they are gone...xo!

Mélanie said...

Love the paintings in the last picture ! Totally the kind of antiques I buy