Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

5.17.2009

Is Green the New Red?

No one loves a red lampshade more than me. I think a shot of red does wonders for a room, and the glossy shade below is one of the most popular things I've ever posted on this blog. But Atlanta is as green as a rain forest at the moment. Inspired by the verdant leaves outside my window, I revisited the bottle-green shades used by Miles Redd in a super-chic dining room for a young family.

With Miles using them, could the stately green shades be embraced by a new generation? As you've probably heard a million times before, a new lampshade is far more attainable than new curtains.

Below is a classic green lampshade in Lynn von Kersting's splendidly layered living room.

Maybe a favorite brick and mortar shop in your neighborhood sells them.

Click here to learn more about the 350 Project.

And speaking of green dining rooms, check out Erika's fantasy room.

Credits: Redd dining room photographed by Simon Upton and published in Elle Decor, February 2009. Image two is Ivanka Trump's bedroom as seen in House & Garden, January 2005; photo by Oberto Gili. Lynn von Kersting's living room is from Chris Casson Madden's New American Living Rooms.

14 comments:

Things That Inspire said...

I love this post - noticing the little details in a room is what makes it come alive for me. Green can be a tricky color - there are some shades of green that are so associated with 80s/90s decor that the will certainly be 'out' for decades (hunter green specifically!). But, I love green, and most of the weekend gazed at the sea of green trees in my backyard. Your description of Atlanta as green as a rain forest is apt - and it is amazing how much rain we have received this spring!

Alicia said...

Green evokes life. It can be a shot in the arm or a whisper in your ear. My favorite color, indeed.

Style Court said...

TTI -- thanks!

Does anyone think the colors of names play a big part in whether or not we think they are dated? Say the hunter green of the 80s v. Kelly Wearstler emerald or malachite? Or is it just flat out the shade itself?

Style Court said...

I guess the greens we like right now are vibrant and hunter, for example, was flatter I think.

THE DB FILES said...

Two of our favourite things - beautiful lamps and Miles Redd! Colour names can evoke different eras - for example Kelly Green.( not sure if we should be thinking of the Irish here but Grace definately comes to mind first!!!)

Caroline's Lost and Found said...

Green can be so delightful! It can be such a restful color that can bring the outside beauty into the home! Take care,
Caroline

Karena said...

I adore the green shades,this has given me some new ideas. Right now I am painting baths and bookshelves to brighten things up for spring!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I hadn't thought of it, but you're so right. I've seen green appearing everywhere and just love it! so fresh and springlike!

maison21 said...

you have to be right- normally green is near the bottom of the color barrel for me, but currently i am obsessed with spring greens, and can't et enough of them!.

and a chic green lacquered lampshade or two, might be just the ticket!

Style Court said...

I'm smiling at the positive reaction. I was afraid that -- apart from Miles using them -- deep green lampshades might elicit a thumbs down. I think they rock too.

Cote de Texas said...

In Charlotte Moss's The Winter House - she has gorgeous green pleated silk lampshades. just beautiful! I adore your first image the most!!!!!

Style Court said...

Joni -- great example, thanks!

Stacy McCallum said...

Oooo!! I love me some green! Maybe diy with a black grosgrain ribbon.

Ianny said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.