Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

4.02.2009

Toast and Letters


The idea of giving a convalescing friend a small, handsome letter holder is really growing on me. I like the toast rack style because it is portable, fits so easily on a tray or bedside table, can't break, and allows easy access to mail. Charlotte Moss' lattice version, above, is by far the prettiest example I've found, but it is not inexpensive.


Browsing Toaster Central, I spotted some great vintage styles. However the prices were still in the $75-$95 range. And of course there are antique sterling examples priced well over $1,000.

Pioneer Linens offers a silver plate style, intended for toast, at a very budget-friendly $27.

And a friendly reader reminded me about Mothology's stately silver plate interpretation, $84. If you're heading to a flea market this weekend, or even stopping by your grandmother's house, this could be a fun thing to hunt for.

The beautiful vignette at the top is via Leontine Linens.

23 comments:

Pigtown-Design said...

I've always used these for mail and not toast. I don't like toast.

...love Maegan said...

I have a vintage one but I must admit that I am lusting for that first one.

Style Court said...

Oh that's right Meg -- you are the only person I know who doesn't like toast :)

Style Court said...

Same here Maegan!

A Gift Wrapped Life said...

What about one for each? She likely needs toast and mail.

Anonymous said...

mothology.com also has some great looking toast racks. Although not cheap, they come in a "regular" size as well as a large which is great for file folders.

Studio News said...

I miss a week of your posts and I'm so behind! These toast racks are very cool. Although I'm not a toast fan either :(

French baugettes with cheese and wine Yes!!

Stacey

Style Court said...

Stacey -- Welcome back!

Gift Wrapped Life -- Good question, I'm not sure :)

Brillante Home Decor said...

Great way of keeping the desk organized. I will search for them at next Flea Market.

The Peak of Chic said...

Don't forget ebay! I've seen some great- and affordable- ones there. You've just got to really look at the photos to determine whether the finish is worn or not.

The Single Gal said...

I've had one of these for years on my desk and it came with a crumb tray underneath so I can keep paperclips and stamps with my notecards and bills!

It would make a lovely & unexpected gift - great idea!

domesticated_desk said...

what a great post, totally agree about it being such a lovely gift. I like the Mothology's version the best!

Style Court said...

Single Girl -- how convenient. That's a great feature.

Style Court said...

Jennifer -- great tip!

Style Court said...

Thanks Domesticated Desk :)

Cass @ That Old House said...

Love these! I use one for mail, but have one for toast when friends from the UK visit -- they inexplicably like cold toast that has sat waiting for them!
Cass

Jess@Decor Diva Talk said...

Some of these letter holders are so sweet! Charlotte Moss' lattice version would work best for my desk.
Great blogging.....I'm subscribing to your blog.

Thanks, Jess

simply seleta said...

LOVE letter holders! Thanks for this pretty post. What a great reminder of a simply elegant and original gift!

Easy and Elegant Life said...

A beautiful idea for a gift. Mrs.E. and I use them for mail for the most part. Although I did buy a matched set of Hotel silver deco toast holders that are so far only ornamental... Maybe when the correspondence cards come in from the printers....

Jessica Claire said...

My mother and I snapped up the charlotte moss version last July. It sits on our kitchen desk and holds the mail and random paper- it's so pretty!

Style Court said...

Oh that's great Jessica!

Style Court said...

Thank you Seleta :)

MyFavoriteBedding said...

I have to say that the one at Pioneer Linens is the best buy and it is just as nice as the others