Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

4.05.2009

Some Southern Modernism

If you have plans to visit Charleston this spring or summer, the Charleston Renaissance Gallery is another great place -- apart from the Gibbes -- to see the work of Southern Modernists. Lately I've become interested in Chevis Clark, a Charlestonian who studied at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta.

Shown above is one of his mid-century pieces, Charleston Street, circa 1956. It is quite small, just 8 x 10 inches, and is done with casein on paper. For details contact the gallery. Clark's work is also in the Gibbes' collection.

Shown above, Gates of Iron, 1957, via the Gibbes.

And just as an irresistible bridge between this post and the previous one, here's a Ruthie Sommers-designed bedroom with what looks like a mid-century abstract on the wall and a "Fig Leaf" bedskirt and bolster. Image via L.A. Confidential, summer 2005.

BTW: This post and the other Charleston-related ones were put together before the May Elle Decor arrived in my mailbox. I'm excited that the magazine featured the city and so happy to see businesses such as Elizabeth Stuart Design included!

10 comments:

Terry said...

I love how the old city is so well represented in modern paintings. I couldn't have guessed it was Charleston. But knowing it, the paintings seem so familiar.

Style Court said...

Terry,

I feel the same way.

The city has such a rich tradition in the arts and is represented by unexpectedly diverse artists.

Hill Country House Girl said...

Love this work. "Charleston Street" is especially charming. Thanks for the information - great post.

Style Court said...

HCHG -- the small one does have special appeal. Thanks for stopping by.

Rebecca@Harmony and Home said...

I like the Gates of Iron painting. As I get older, I am tending to like abstract more and more. Thanks for the introduction to this talented artist.

Style Court said...

Hi Rebecca -- oh good, I'm glad. Thanks for letting me know. Stay tuned for more :)

ALL THE BEST said...

These are wonderful. I really love the Charleston one!!

GrannySmithGreen said...

I'm having a small fit over the "Fig Leaf" material. How perfectly fresh, green and Southern.

pecanpiepuppies said...

The Charleston Renaissance Gallery is my uncle's gallery and it really is an amazing place. It's definitely worth a stop in if you're in Charleston! Thanks for featuring the gallery...

Style Court said...

Pecan Pie Puppies -- how wonderful that you have that connection! Thanks for sharing.