Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

4.22.2009

Shopping Around


Before turning to news of a more remarkable sale, I want to quickly share a very humble find: shells made into pill boxes. Priced under $10 at Terra Cottage on Atlanta's Westside, these might make a terrific Mother's Day present. (I've still got natural curiosities on the brain thanks to Amelia Handegan.)


Decorative treasures and books from the estate of Doris Duke -- including some pieces created by Tony Duquette -- will be auctioned next month at the Morristown Armory in New Jersey to benefit the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation. Millea Bros. is handling the sale, and you may browse the catalog online. Just for fun, and perhaps to learn something new, I've begun to study it. One thing that has grabbed my attention is a 19th-century portfolio of Southeast Asian costume studies. It includes gouache drawings in an embossed leather binding, as shown above.

Also, look at this great Japanese lacquer tableware and these books on Chinese furniture and decorative arts.


Here are the dates for the preview and sale:

Thursday, April 30, 11 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Friday, May 1, 11 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Saturday, May 2, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sunday, May 3, 9 a.m. - 10 a.m.

430 Western Avenue, Morristown, NJ

John Robshaw is gearing up for another sample sale on the 6th Floor at 245 West 29th Street, New York, NY. I'm told by his friendly team that shoppers can look forward to seeing his artisan bedding, decorative pillows, tabletop linens, shirts, scarves, and more reduced as much as 75%. Here are the dates:

Thursday, May 14, 10 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Friday, May 15, 10 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Saturday, May 16, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.

And Leontine Linens wants everyone to know that there is still a little time left to order a monogrammed present for Mom.

5 comments:

beachbungalow8 said...

i love those little shells. adorable.

and you just reminded me that I used to have that little jewelry holder. loved it, mine was a pink seersucker with a monogram. great gift.

Style Court said...

Megan -- I love the seersucker version!

Karena said...

The shell pill boxes are adorable. I have a little montage of seashells which I love, reminds me of my San Diego years.

Style Court said...

Karen -- the selection in person is really nice too :)

Mélanie said...

Good idea for a mother's day present. I love the asian costume studies, it is such an interesting curiosity and document. You always share the best