Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

4.08.2009

Muffie's Collection Part I


It's no secret that I like this grouping of art in Charleston-based designer Muffie Faith's house. I use it nearly every time I do a blog post about collecting. Well, now I can share a bit more about what is hanging on her wonderful wall.

"This is a mix for sure," says Muffie, "The painting of the little beach house is my Mickey Williams. I liked it because it reminded me of my favorite local beach and the great old houses it used to be covered with. There is also a print of Charles Lindbergh's plane and under it a line reads: 'With one beat of his wing, Charles Lindbergh goes to Paris.' My husband's grandfather used to fly with Lindbergh -- apparently Mr. Lindbergh was a jokester and liked to buzz the factories just after quiting time."

The portrait is a sketch of Muffie's mother done the year the decorator was born.

She adds, "The landscape is a painting I had from my grandmother. Looking at the garden in that painting was always a great mini-vacation...I often dreamed of where it might be and chose the South of France, but who knows."

D.L. Weismann did the 1950s abstract hanging above the chest. Muffie was told the title is Acid Rain, and she finds the colors unusual. The thatching reminds her of Spanish moss.

"This grouping represents different styles and mediums but the frames are connected by similar tones. Blues tie a line drawing the art together, and I like how the varied mediums give the arrangement texture. Pretty telling how sentimental I am," she says.

Muffie's Gothic Revival house in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina is positioned on a bluff above the Charleston Harbor and inside it is brimming with interesting art. (Directly above in her family room, for example, is Les Vieilles Demoiselles by Jules René Hervé.) She was influenced by her father who was "a fearless collector," and explains, "His love for strong oils and respect for all genres helped me to appreciate art across the board without thinking in a box."

In terms of placement, Muffie says, "Hang the art that you love where you will see it. (Sounds so obvious, but stripped down so many people decorate to impress. Impress yourself instead and enjoy what you love.) I have a beautiful Jonathan Sobol that is hanging across from our laundry room. It's a 'price per wear' sort of thing. Put it where you will get joy from seeing it not just in the stuffy living room were you never go."

Soon I'll be back with more about Muffie's art and where she finds it. In the meantime, click here to visit her shop, Elizabeth Stuart Design, or to read her blog. (F.Y.I. a big sale is on right now.)

Credits: Images one three and five were shot by Pieter Estersohn for Southern Accents, July 2008. Brie Williams photographed image two for Charleston Home, July 2008.

7 comments:

Leslie Rowlands said...

A new web site, I will be watching the blog as well.
Leslie
lamaisonfou blog

Ivy Lane said...

I love the pic of the front elevation of the home!

Brillante Home Decor said...

Beautiful collection and interesting way of displaying it. I am all for "Salon Style" and I totally agree: art should be where you most enjoy it (people are horrified when they see framed photography just above my gas stove and art in my bathroom...but I enjoy it every day)
From an art lover.

katiedid said...

What a great house! I look forward to hearing more and I am off to visit the website and blog! Thanks Courtney. :)

Mélanie said...

I love her way of displaying art ! What a taste !!!

Leslie said...

You have no idea how much I appreciate your blog. Just last night I was tossing and turning trying to think of which magazine from the plethora of those I subscribe to and never throw away, was Muffie's article in. I love her style and am trying to find where I could get a reproduction of Les Vieilles Desmoiselles by Jules Rene Herve. Can anyone out there help me out?

Style Court said...

Thanks Leslie. I really appreciate that!

Not sure about the reproduction...