Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

4.21.2009

Mental Traveler: Books

No plans for a big vacation this year? Why not browse the vintage travel-related books just in at Paris Hotel Boutique? Set up a lounge chair in the backyard, grab an ice-cold drink, and use that fabulous imagination. Boutique owner Lynn has found several charming titles from Ludwig Bemelmans. I have to confess I'm partial to the cover of Italian Holiday, 1961. Don't forget to also check your local public library for vintage editions. I've been surprised by some of the great finds at Atlanta branches.

These 1960s sari-inspired Georges Briard Suburban glasses, designed with blues, greens, and 22k gold leaf accents, would be just the thing for a summer drink. Available at Vicky's Yard Sale.

Or how about Briard's "Cobra Rust" snakeskin design? Also vintage and available here.

Related past post: A Self-Portrait.

6 comments:

Carla said...

What a beautiful book. I love old travel books. I bought some beautiful ones in the South of France. The photography was perfect. Carla

Laura [What I Like] said...

So funny...I was just at Bemelman's Bar the other day at the Carlyle, and was loving that I was totally surrounded by his illustrations!

Karena said...

I love to page through travel books and magazines for art inspiration as well as future trips!

Pigtown-Design said...

You KNOW I love old books like these... the quirkier the better!

Paris Hotel Boutique said...

Courtney, thanks so much for the sweet mention! Looking at the book and those lovely glasses...I'm off to an imaginary trip to Italy!

Love Vicky's Yard Sale...such a cute blog!

Take care, Lynn

annechovie said...

Wow, I absolutely love that Bemelmans cover....great glasses also.