Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

4.23.2009

Coming Soon

Last week Annie Butrus told me that when she was little she made all sorts of gifts for friends including "pillows" which were two drawings stapled together and stuffed with tissue. Her memory made me smile; I'm not a talented professional artist like Annie, but I did similar things as a child. Tin foil animals being among the worst. She piqued my curiosity about other artists and designers. As adults do they give handmade items to their parents, in-laws and closest friends? For thoughts I turned to a familiar group of favorites (by favorites I mean I personally have had a positive experience buying their work). You'll hear from them in the next few days.

Although I've never commissioned anything from her, embroidery artist Lisa will be in the mix simply because she is such a cool person.

Shown above, David Douglas Duncan's photograph of nine-year-old Paloma Picasso making art with common garden leaves. Visit the Harry Ransom Center at The University of Texas at Austin to learn more about Duncan.

It's a treat when Annie's smaller, more modestly priced work is available.

3 comments:

French Furniture said...

Paloma Picasso could make art with garden leaves or anything else! It's in her blood and in her DNA.

Style Court said...

French Furniture -- I agree!

Janet said...

I love the Duncan photograph! Can't wait to see more of this series.