Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

4.14.2009

Color for Words

Soon summer will be here, and for those with kids in their lives, that usually means trips to the library or book store and hours of arts and crafts. The other day I was thinking about the activity of actually making books -- simple accordion style -- when I stumbled upon the ne plus ultra of book arts (to my eyes at least), Warja Honegger-Lavater's Little Red Riding Hood.

Swiss-born Honegger-Lavater worked as an illustrator for the magazine Jeunesse in the 1940s and 50s and later moved to New York where she created a magical series of artist's books. Her books are narrative, but she uses varied colors and symbols as substitutes for words. In her visual adaptation of the fairy tale, Little Red Riding Hood, for example, she uses a red dot to represent Red Riding Hood.

Wellesley College has a very special book arts collection and Honegger-Lavater's Little Red Riding Hood is part of it. This is a good month to visit museum and college web sites to check out available workshops and camps for both children and adults. Everything might not be filled up yet.

Credits from the top: Illustration de Warja Lavater pour Le Petit Chaperon rouge. Paris, Maeght, 1965. (474 x 16 cm) BnF, Estampes et Photographie (Tc 134-4) © Maeght éditeur. ADAGP Paris 2001. Expositions;

Full view of Little Red Riding Hood, 1971, courtesy Wellesley Library;

Le Petit Chaperon rouge illustré par Warja Lavater. Paris, Maeght, 1965. (474 x 16 cm) BnF, Estampes et Photographie (Tc 134-4) © Maeght éditeur. ADAGP Paris 2001. Expositions.

12 comments:

A Gift Wrapped Life said...

What a wonderful find...so simply but beautifully rendered.

pve design said...

reminds me of the hungry caterpillar.
sweet - simple children's books.
also doing flip books with children is fun.

Sanity Fair said...

This is absolutely charming. For some weird reason it reminds me of Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar. http://www.carlemuseum.org/Home

Style Court said...

Well, that's two who are reminded of the simplicity of children's books. I mean make that three. I see it too. They say her Swiss style was all about clean lines, simplicity.

Sanity -- great link!

Chakra Pennywhistle said...

My jaw dropped when I opened my email! Thank you for sharing!

Style Court said...

Chakra -- so glad it was a hit!

Karena said...

Just love it! What a great find!

pve design said...

Please take a look at my post today "supreme" style court. I bow to you, might one!

Renae said...

Fantastic! I adore the accordion book, I could see myself at the craft table with the kids doing an art project of making one!
Blessings...

Rose C'est La Vie said...

Thank you for reminding me about a simple and seductive art form, an accordion book. None of us has an excuse not to make one NOW! I doubt we can achieve the reductive charm of Little Red Riding Hood however. Delighted to be introduced to Honegger-Lavater, thank you.
(It was hight time I put you on my favourites list!)

Style Court said...

Hi Rose -- I appreciate that. Thanks!

Lia said...

Inspiring idea. Beautiful execution. I've been looking for great ideas for a book for the little ones. Maybe one they can help create too.