Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

3.10.2009

Vesta's Art

Recently Louisiana Life ran a nice article about artist Gaither Pope written by John R. Kemp. Reading about Pope's intuitive contemporary Louisiana landscapes, I was reminded of the moody paintings Vesta Fort chose for her own home.

According to domino, she has grouped works by Kathryn Keller with Pope's Jazz Man. The contemporary art has a stormy vibe, so it's interesting to see it juxtaposed with the sorbet colors and pretty Old World furniture in Vesta's house. (BTW: She found the art at Cole Pratt. Much more of Pope's work can be seen on the gallery's website.)

Interior design above, Vesta Fort; photo, Paul Costello for domino, May 2006.

Pope teaches at Nicholls State University. Another sample of his work is shown above.

9 comments:

stacy said...

This has long been one of my favorite homes that domino featured but I never focused on art she has. I am glad you pointed it out!

Style Court said...

Hi Stacy -- I always loved how Vesta used contemporary art here and recently made the connection with the wonderful Cole Pratt gallery, so I thought it would be fun to share :)

Gaither Pope said...

It's very gratifying to see one of my paintings in so lovely a home. That particular painting was one of my favorites in the series. Thank you, Style Court, for mentioning my work on your blog.

Style Court said...

Gaither -- my pleasure. Lovely to hear from you!

ALL THE BEST said...

Lovely post! One of my very favorite homes!

Style Court said...

Ronda, I love how Vesta's style doesn't feel cookie- cutter!

Liz said...

Wow... love her art. And those domino pics are so inspiring.

Canvas Prints said...

Thanks for posting this, it was very interesting to read. The moody artwork that was used was somehow balanced by the warm tones of the room.

Style Court said...

canvas -- you're welcome :)