Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

3.08.2009

Stacey Sloboda to Visit the High


I've already marked my calendar for art historian Stacey Sloboda's visit to the High on Saturday, April 4, from 9:30 a.m. to noon, when she'll lead the seminar A Taste for the Exotic. Sloboda specializes in 18th-and-19th-century European art, and she is currently writing a book manuscript: Chinoiserie and the Aesthetics of Consumption in 18th-Century Britain. Her focus in Atlanta will be the visual language of Chinoiserie and its impact on British taste.

I know firsthand how passionate she is about her subject, so I think this will be a terrific event. Click here for all the details.

Image of 19th-century Chinese Export boxes photographed by Lauren Rubinstein; Charleston interior with chinoiserie influence by Amelia Handegan, both pictures courtesy Southern Accents.

5 comments:

Karena said...

Courtney, I wish so much I could attend. The lecture will be phenominal!

Laura [What I Like] said...

Oh I'm so jealous that I'm up here in New York! Those boxes in the first shot are gorgeous.

stacy said...

I can't wait for the book! thanks for the "intro".

pve design said...

Do tell us all about it. I am full of intrigue!
pve

Julie at BV said...

Courtney,

You'll be like a fish in the water attending this interesting seminar.

P.S. I would love to attend. Too bad I live very far away.