Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

3.03.2009

All Small

In tune with the times, the Dalton Gallery at Agnes Scott College has organized All Small, Redux. Each work included is six images at most, or in the case of film, sixty seconds in length. It's all about the new era of scaling down. The tiny work above is Michele Schuff's. Her very small encaustic pieces grew from studying images of water crystals and pondering the meaning of water. ("Encaustic" refers to a painting method in which pigment is mixed with beeswax. )

If you've never visited the Dana Fine Arts building at Agnes Scott, it has a rather magical quality. John Portman designed it in the 1960s and it could be described as a modern riff on the school's existing Gothic-inspired architecture. When sunlight filters through the two-story brick screen that fronts the building, it is beautiful. All Small runs through March 22.

Images of Dana are via the Historic Campus Architecture Project

10 comments:

Terry said...

Dana Fine Arts is, in my opinion, John Portman's finest building. I drive by it twice a week and go a few blocks out of the way to see it. Lot's of little details in the brick: in some places it's a "hole" on other places, it's a black colored brick that looks like a hole.

Now they have the new Julia Thompson Chapel. Excellent!

Style Court said...

Hi Terry, I agree it's a very intriguing building. Kind of soulful. Thanks for reminding us about the chapel!

Bayou Contessa said...

I have many fond memories of becoming an artist within this wonderful building. It truly has magic in the architecture!

Style Court said...

Julie, it does!

Mrs. Blandings said...

I thought this was going to have a Dr. Seuss reference - too much Hop on Pop for me.

Style Court said...

I think my mind was too slow to think of that clever twist today!

Karena said...

While I find myself working on larger canvases and paper all the time; I really love small paintings with unique detals, a wonderful strength about them.

Janet said...

What a lovely concept for a show. I really like the piece by Joo Yeon Woon.

Style Court said...

Karen and Janet -- this show made me think of both of you :)

Brilliant Asylum said...

I have never been on the Agnes Scott campus. Thanks for two great reasons to visit.