Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

2.04.2009

Running with Scissors



I was focused on the third "Mental Traveler" blog post when I veered a bit off course. My friend Ellen -- another busy mom who pre-kids worked as a museum educator and non-profit fundraiser -- said that if budget and time were not an issue, she might indulge in a summer class at the Penland School of Crafts. A course with Beatrice Coron that takes a modern approach to the centuries-old art form, paper cutting, especially interests Ellen.

That made me pause and think again about artists including Mary Delany, Kara Walker, Emma van Leest, and Rob Ryan. I also was reminded of the silhouettes made by Elliott Puckette for Carolina Irving -- they hang above the Irvings' bed as shown above, second from the top. And Mrs. Blandings just wrote a great piece about the history of silhouettes for Spaces.


But back to Penland and Ellen, she says, "I have been visiting the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina since I was a child, where my family has a cabin near the school. I have often thought of taking a summer class there -- perhaps printmaking or fiber arts. There are so many materials that I'd like to try, but I don't have the time in my everyday life to learn new techniques. I wish that I'd had the confidence to take more studio art classes in college, so I'd love the opportunity to separate from my day-to-day tasks and concentrate exclusively on creating. The majestic mountain setting would just be a bonus."

Credits:
Image one, Emma van Leest
Images two and three are from World of Interiors, photography by Simon Upton
Images four and seven courtesy Penland School of Crafts
Image five courtesy Hollyhock
Rob Ryan's book is published by Chronicle

Learn more about Ellen's embroidery designs here.

BTW: To celebrate Rob’s book, This is for You, Chronicle books has teamed with Urban Outfitters and will give away Rob’s print Every Beat of My Heart just in time for Valentine’s Day. No purchase needed to enter. Details of the give-away are posted at Urban Outfitters, here. Also visit Chronicle's blog.

7 comments:

balsamfir said...

interesting to see these silhouettes compared. I've long been a fan of Kara Walker, but some of the others are new names for me. Penland is supposed to be great.

Style Court said...

I hope Ellen gets to take a class there. Thanks for the input Balsamfir.

Anonymous said...

Do you know of any artists who can be commissioned to do silhouettes? I love Elliott Puckette, but doubt she'd do a commission for me!

Style Court said...

Hi Anon -- stay tuned for some leads...

Style Court said...

http://www.beegoodstudio.com

http://www.artfulheirlooms.com


http://www.cutarts.com/catalog.php?category=4

Mrs. Blandings said...

Courtney - thank you so much for the mention. I've been by every day - sometimes twice - but have been caught up in catching up and haven't taken the time to comment. The whole series this week is inspired. Always awed, Patricia

Style Court said...

Patricia, appreciative, as always.