Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

2.05.2009

More Block Prints

Exploration of the Selvedge back issues continues. In a short but gorgeous story the magazine explains that Georg Stark is one of the last true indigo hold-outs, still working as a traditional blue printer in Germany.

He owns nearly 500 hand-made antique wooden blocks for printing. Designs range from early Asian prints of peonies and peacock feathers to smaller European styles, explains Hanny Kauwelaar. In his work, Stark uses a 17th-century recipe for a sticky resist-paste that keeps the indigo dye from permeating the fabric, or in other words, keeps the material white at the desired points. For more see Selvedge, issue 16.

The first image above is from Selvedge; the second two are from Im Kattrepel.


A reminder: if you are inclined to try your own project, Pacific & Rose sells woodblocks, average price $25.

9 comments:

OLIVEAUX said...

These block prints are stunning!

Porchlight Interiors said...

I have always been so fascinated with this traditional way of printing. So beautiful! Hayley

The Peak of Chic said...

So beautiful! You've inspired me to buy a woodblock and test out my printing skills- on paper, of course!

Laura said...

Oh I love that you can buy the woodblocks! I may just be inclined to try my hand at it...I'm relatively convinced the results will be disastrous, but never hurts to try, right?

Style Court said...

Hi everyone, thanks for stopping by! I'm so excited this seems to be inspiring. Happy weekend!

Mrs. Blandings said...

Oddly, I'm attracted to the wood blocks themselves. Not that I wouldn't want to make something with them; they just appeal to me as objects.

Style Court said...

the blocks could indeed be displayed as part of a tablescape.

michelle said...

I bought two blocks in an Amsterdam flea market last year, and have been perplexed with what to do with them. For now, they are just sitting on the shelf.

Thanks...great post...beautiful blog!

Style Court said...

Michelle -- what a great find!