Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

2.05.2009

Mental Traveler: India


What Possessed Me has an amazing collection of personal travel pictures posted here.

So enchanting in fact that I'm inspired to share my own fantasy trip. Last month the Jaipur Virasat Foundation hosted a series of Wonderful Workshops. I would have loved to have participated in the miniature painting class.

The tiny painting of tulips, above, measures 15.2 × 5.6 cm. Attribution: a Mughal artist possibly at Aurangabad, c. 1650; opaque watercolour on paper within gold rules. Francesca Galloway.

Garden image via Wonderful Workshops.


I also wish I had not missed this exhibition. Indian silver above available through Anglo-Oriental Antiques. Click here for related reading.


The item above is just something I can't resist adding: a hand-blocked bib and burp cloth set from Rickshaw. $39. Would make a great shower gift!

16 comments:

Pigtown-Design said...

India is on my short list of places to visit!

Style Court said...

Meg -- you don't have to be a mental traveler, you are a resourceful real traveler :)

Heather said...

Perfect timing with this beautiful post-- I'm working on an invitation that needs some subtle Indian inspiration without being all magenta and marigold. Thank you!!

Style Court said...

That's great Heather, I'm so glad!

Florence de Dampierre said...

India's colors are so inspiring!
Pink and orange, saffran yellow and deep red.A great palette!

Style Court said...

Hi Florence -- a treat to hear from you. Your book, Chairs, is a must-have!

Florence de Dampierre said...

Thank you
You should check my new book
French Chic, by Rizzoli with photos by Tim Street Porter. It is full of great design tips and even easy recipes.

Hobo ........ ........ ........ said...

I am an Indian but never been to Rajasthan. I wish one day to visit and stay for months to know more & more to write more & more about art & culture.

Style Court said...

hobo, hope you make it there.

robyn said...

Love this post Courtney :)

C. Bell said...

The Jaipur photos are truly inspirational- i've got to make some travel plans..the colors are so vibrant & the prints are extraordinary. Thanks for great ideas!

Style Court said...

thanks robyn!

Style Court said...

christine -- i know you are a true adventurous spirit :)

lotusmoss said...

I strongly urge that you take a look at the Freer-Sackler Gallery's exhibition catalogue:
Garden and Cosmos. It has some of the most incredible Indian art I've ever seen in my life:
http://www.asia.si.edu/exhibitions/online/GardenCosmos/GardenCosmos.htm

rikshaw design said...

hey there, thanks for mentioning rikshaw design! big fan of your blog!

Style Court said...

Catherine -- I love your work :)