Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

2.19.2009

Lunch and Textiles

If you plan to be in Washington D.C. today, The Textile Museum is hosting a lunchtime talk in conjunction with the exhibition Timbuktu to Tibet: Rugs and Textiles of the Hajji Babas. Sumru Belger Krody, Associate Curator for Eastern Hemisphere Collections, will discuss how individual weavers conjured, copied and commercialized designs from the palace to the village market. The event is free and no reservations are required. So again, it's Thursday, February 19, from noon to 12:30 p.m.

Shown above, pieces from the exhibition. At top, a wool, knotted pile village rug from Turkey, 18th or 19th century. Last, a bridal veil from Central Asia, Tajikistan, 18th or 19th century. Both images by Don Tuttle Photography.



Since you asked, antique and vintage Turkish rugs are available at Allan Arthur. The example above is mid-20th-century.

13 comments:

Ivy Lane said...

Who can concentrate on lunch while viewing these stunning textiles!??!

Wow, I love the colors...just beautiful. They just don't make 'em like they used to!! :)

Style Court said...

Hi Ivy -- I wish I could be there to attend!

Pigtown-Design said...

Bummer. I have a lunch meeting today. I need to make time for a day in DC. It's five minutes to the train station from my house and then a $7 round trip ticket. I must do this!!!

Style Court said...

Oh, too bad Meg. Was hoping you could give us a report :(

Leslie Rowlands said...

What lovely designs.....
Washington is not on my to do list today....
but what a nice way to spend the day!
lamaisonfou blog

Karena said...

Gorgeous Patterns and Colors! I love rugs even over carpeted floors.

Style Court said...

Karen, I like patterned rugs over seagrass too.

Laura [What I Like] said...

Oh this was disappointing...I saw that first rug and immediately wanted it and was thrilled that you would be telling us all where to buy it. Imagine my sadness to find out that it was in a museum!

Style Court said...

Sorry Laura! I can come back and add a link to something similar though :)

collard green queen said...

Loved the previous post with pictures of your home- would love to see more of it!

Style Court said...

CGQ -- thanks so much :)

Dave said...

Hi Style Court, LOVE the blog :)

We recently filmed at the Textile Museum to document an interesting lecture about Caucasian Rugs by Barry O'Connell.

Luckily, we also had the opportunity to see the exhibit which was great, so I'm happy to see the plug here and also recommend the viewing for those in the area (goes thru March 8th)!

P.S. Really enjoyed the photographs from "carpets in the sun and other delights" - Some colors!

All the best,

Dave

Style Court said...

Hi Dave -- so interesting. Thanks for sharing!