Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

2.12.2009

Loose Ends

Works on paper sometimes have a rough or imperfect edge. When framing pieces like this, one option is to mount or "float" the paper in a way that leaves the edges exposed. I'm having the painting above set against a white background, and to contrast with the art's raw edges the frame will be a classic, very clean-lined gold. (More on that to come.)

The images above might give you an idea of what I mean. The first is cropped from Vogue, 1998 (India Hicks' house again) and the second is cropped from Southern Accents, February 2009 (Anne and King Milling's NOLA house).

There are also some great examples of this approach in the last issue of domino. Don't worry, I won't spoil anyone's enjoyment by prematurely posting pages from the magazine. But I will slip in two obscure images cropped from a story about Amy Larocca and Will Frears. The ink watercolor and tempera work, above, is a Bo Joseph.

And don't miss this video of exhibited work from one of our favorite Southern artists, Elliott Puckette. Below, one of her framed works on paper.

14 comments:

Brilliant Asylum said...

Even if you keep the same frame, ditching the mat is an inexpensive way to update existing art in your collection. I took some of my mom's old watercolors to have reframed floating and they look a million times better.

Style Court said...

Millie -- I think we all would love to see some of your collection hanging or leaning.

And I agree, hang on to great vintage frames! Or just any good looking frame. If you can make it work, it really saves money. If you can use existing glass that REALLY saves money.

The Peak of Chic said...

I think that's a great idea Courtney, and I hope we get to see your painting once it's framed! I don't have any floating pieces, but I do like the idea of it! I'll have to try that soon.

Style Court said...

thanks jennifer!

Mrs. Blandings said...

I can't wait to see the finished product. And, am over the moon as I know Bo Joseph! So glad he is getting such great exposure.

Style Court said...

Oh Patricia you know everyone!! I need to see if he has a website so I can add the link.

Janet said...

Oooooh. Can't wait to see more of the painting.

Mrs. Blandings said...

Hey, Court - he's married to a girl from Kansas City. Honest to goodness. She is a dear friend to Mr. B's step sisters and my big city friend has one of his pieces in his apartment. It all comes back to Kansas City. I'll post it later today. bojoseph.com

Pigtown-Design said...

I am having such a fight with my mother over this. She's got an old watercolour that my grandmother did, with little notations on the edges. I want her to float it on a white background, but she thinks it looks sloppy.

Style Court said...

Meg -- I think it would be so special if you could preserve the notations and let them show. I'm with you.

Ms. Wis./Each Little World said...

Just bought the Southern Accents issue specifically for the Milling's art collection! What exquisite taste — and artwork — they have.

Emily Amy Gallery said...

Courtney--I love your new piece. Please post pictures when it is framed!! Beautiful!

Style Court said...

Linda, oh good, I'm so glad. Enjoy.

Style Court said...

Thanks Emily -- it was a present :)