Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

2.17.2009

A Little Break

Whenever I need a virtual escape -- just a little pause to recharge -- I like to read a page from Carolyn Quatermaine Revealed. An artist, textile designer, and stylist, Quartermaine has had some interesting adventures. Her passion for flowers is especially appealing.


She says:

"I went to a rose farm just outside Marrakesh to buy flowers for a video that was being filmed in Morocco. Everywhere you looked there were acres of roses and everyday the flowers were freshly picked. The heads were very small, very compact, dots of pure color, and we stood and chose the colors we wanted. You could have anything: scarlet, fuchscia, yellow, orange. I paid for the roses and loaded the boxes into the car.

"Setting up the video took hours. It was hot. The director wanted a fountain filled. When that was done, I took the boxes of roses and emptied them into the water. And then, as it was so hot and the petals looked so beautiful floating on the surface, I threw myself in too. There is something so romantic about having your whole body immersed in water that has been turned into a sea of petals. You looked down and all you saw were liquid flowers. That moment sums up everything I love about flowers."


Credits:
Quote and image two are from Carolyn Quatermaine Revealed, Rizzoli, 1997. Images one and three are by Martin Morrell. The last image is by James Merrell.

11 comments:

The Antiques Diva™ said...

These images remind me of something I saw recently in Vogue Living Australia... I'm going to have to dig through my back issues to see if it's Carolyn. By the way, if you're not reading VL Australia I'd recommend you pick up a copy... it's a nice alternative to some of the American publications.

Style Court said...

H Diva -- her work was recently on the cover of VL Australia. Good eye :)

mary said...

Thank you - so many times you have introduced me to someone new[to me]. February is such a slump month - we are all looking for some inspiration....again, thanks. You've given me one.

Style Court said...

Oh Mary, I'm so glad this was fresh and inspiring to you!

The Peak of Chic said...

Wow! This inspires me to want to take time to smell the roses...or immerse myself in them!

E. Floyd said...

Wow, I really love these photos, they are bright and lovely. On this gray February day it is nice to be reminded of brightness and color.

Thanks for sharing.

pve design said...

love her work. the color, the emotion and the words.

Style Court said...

Patricia VE, Jennifer, E. Floyd,

Thanks for stopping by on a gray day. Glad the pictures are uplifting.

Erin Sledd said...

I love Carolyn's work. I bought that book years ago, right after a breakup with a boyfriend. It made me feel SO much better.

Her anecdote about the shot in Marrakesh has always inspired me . . . I would so love to work on a project like that one day.

annechovie said...

I have long loved Carolyn's aesthetic and the way she pairs color with a feminine touch and often, a white background. Beautiful!

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

I loved this story of the Moroccan rose farm. I am going to set off to look for one for my book. Thanks!