Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

2.10.2009

Faulkner Wisdom Competition

I've come to realize that many of my multifaceted readers are passionate about literature, in addition to art and design. Some of you are serious writers too. So I want to help spread the word about the William Faulkner - William Wisdom Creative Writing Competition for previously unpublished work. (Doing so also gives me an excuse to share this pretty view of Faulkner House found in an old notebook.)

Competition categories include: Novel, Novella, Novel-in-Progress, Short Story, Essay, Poetry, and Short Story by a High School Student. Entry fees for the High School, Essay, and Short Story categories range from $10 to $30. The deadline is May 1, 2009. Detailed guidelines are available here.


To learn a bit more about the current owners of Faulkner House, Rosemary James and Joseph De Salvo Jr., visit Bayou Contessa. And be sure to click here to learn about Faulkner House Books.

Photograph above is by Antoine Bootz

10 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

Court - do you have American Writers at Home? Faulkner's house is in it and I'd be happy to scan it for you. If one is a reader, the homes are so sentimental.

Style Court said...

Patricia-- I must check that book out! Thank you.

Ms. Wis./Each Little World said...

Yellow is such a difficult house color. This is only the second one that I've seen that got it right. Mrs. Blandings is the other.

Tricia said...

Thank you for this wonderful post! You're so right -- I love the multi-faceted talents of the bloggers we all follow. True Renaissance women, to be sure. I love being transported someone new and intriguing each and every day. Posts like this really make my day, so thanks again.

Style Court said...

Oh Tricia, your comment made my morning. Thanks!

Style Court said...

Ms. Wis, I agree, this house and the Blandings' are perfection.

Mrs. Blandings said...

You both are making me blush. Sakes. I hope my neighbors agree.

jamey said...

Miss Courtney! You made my day. The Faulkner-Wisdom contest and the associated conference are wonderful. I was the 2006 winner in the novel-in-progress category.Rosemary and Joe are fantastic, amazing people. Rosemary has been like a fairy godmother of literature for me. If you know of any aspiring writers, please encourage them to enter. The conference headquarters is at the Hotel Monteleone with its famous Carousel Bar (the bar actually spins!). The Carousel Bar was purportedly Faulkner's favorite in New Orleans.

Style Court said...

Jamey -- I thought of you when I posted this! Your comment will encourage others. Congratulations for 2006!

jamey said...

Hey, I just wanted to remind anyone who was thinking of entering the Faulkner-Wisdom Competition of the May 1st deadline. Good luck! And if you attend the conference, I'll see you in New Orleans!