Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

2.01.2009

Acceptable Forgery

In typical Studio Art 101 courses, it's fairly common to be asked to copy a masterpiece. When I was in college, I had to copy a Matisse as part of a color theory exercise. Of course I chose The Red Studio, but no, I didn't save my mediocre work and even if I did, I certainly wouldn't post it for the world to see.

Other students, though, are far more talented and I think it's fun to hunt for their experimental works. Studies done as part of an academic assignment or for personal pleasure are completely different, to me, than commercially mass produced copies. The student's drawing or painting isn't pretending to be something it's not. Since it's a personal interpretation, it's in a way original.

Some self-taught artists who paint primarily for their own gratification may also occasionally emulate masters such as Gauguin or Picasso. I don't know if India Hicks' partner, self-deprecating David Flint Wood, is specifically inspired by Gauguin, but his works remind me of the iconic island paintings. When it doesn't take itself too seriously, a small painting like this can be a great estate sale find.


Images one and three are from India and David's book, Island Life. The middle image is from Cookie.

4 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

Courtney - at one of our contemporary museums here the restaurant walls are covered with replicas of master works - intentionally just a bit off. The space is terrific and it's a fun game to see how many you can identify. The painter was a high school friend of Mr. Blandings.

Style Court said...

Mrs Blandings, I'd love to eat there some day. Very cool. Mr. B seems to have such interesting friends.

Mrs. Blandings said...

I hope you do, too, with me! As for Mr. B - it's because he's nice to everyone.

Style Court said...

Yes, I'd definitely want the full Blandings' tour of the city too!