Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

1.16.2009

Green Living

Yesterday, after re-posting my all-time favorite Michael Smith-designed living room, I heard from several designers and tastemakers from across the nation who had their own observations.

New Orleans-based designer Heidi Friedler-- pictured above -- says the Bel Air living room Smith did for Lori Laughlin is one of her favorites too.

She notes that there's nothing wasteful about Smith's approach: "I tore those pictures out years ago. It is grand and formal, but still totally inviting. You know it will stand the test of time. All those cool blues and greens against the white and gray, and yet it is still warm and comfy. And I love the blue-and-green floral on the [settee]. I have always been a fan of green sofas, probably ever since I saw the one in Albert Hadley's home. (I think I have been carrying that picture around for 15 years.) Grass-green sofa, black painted floor, zebra skin rugs, beige-and-white striped chair, all against pale beige walls with white trim. Divine. I just pulled it out to take a look. It is just as good as ever."

Above, Albert Hadley's Connecticut house as seen in House & Garden, courtesy Mrs. Blandings. The English-inspired sofa at the top of this post is available through Williams-Sonoma Home; it's shown covered in green raffia. Again, the Smith room was published in Elle Décor circa 2000 and Michelle Hurd photographed Heidi.

BTW: This is how Heidi used green in her own NOLA home. She also likes abstract art mixed with more traditional upholstery. Photo by Michel Arnaud, courtesy Southern Accents.

Click here for more on Heidi. The last image is by Kathy Anderson, from Renee Peck's Times-Picayune article,

3 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

Love the way this all comes together - I have Heidi's home in my files as well!

Style Court said...

Thanks Patricia -- I'm seeing green sofas everywhere now and I'm still obsessed with her red boxes!

beachbungalow8 said...

I love the green sofa. There really is so much you can do over the years to change it up~ and it's always fresh.