Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

1.10.2009

Annie Kammerer Butrus

One of the tips gallery owner Emily Amy offered us the other day was to scour art-related publications such as ARTnews, Art in America, ARTFORUM, or Art & Antiques, to learn more about works we may eventually want to collect. Just as I clip and file pictures of favorite rooms, I also save articles about artists I admire.

For years now I've saved a Southern Accents story about Annie Kammerer Butrus. Her compelling work has been included in exhibitions at Fay Gold Gallery -- Next Young Art Stars, Introductions '06, in Atlanta -- and at the Huntsville Museum of Art, and it is in the collections of Wellesley College and the Birmingham Public Library. I think you will enjoy browsing her site and learning more about her concept. The Japanese influence is evident in the examples posted here.

Shown at the top, fallen fruit: summer, orange
gouache on paper, 11" x 14" 2003

Shown second, red and white: crape myrtle
gouache on paper, 11" x 14" 2001

6 comments:

Karena said...

I love to see the work of other artists! Thanks Courtney!

Janet said...

I adore "Fallen Fruit" ! Thank your for the link.

Heather van Breda said...

Beautiful! I am particularly in love with "fallen fruit: summer, orange". I'm really into the pale peachy-pink colors lately, and I like how the muted colors behind recede beneath the crisp white. I get a sense that this is a real place.

Things That Inspire said...

I adore Annie Butrus' work! She sells her paintings every year in Atlanta at the Artist Market at Trinity School. This is where I get most of my art - it is a very welcoming environment, and the selection is huge - thousands of paintings! It is coming up in February - here is the website: http://www.spotlightonart.com/

Style Court said...

Sarah -- For all those years when I did the columns in Atlanta Intown paper, I always knew what month I was working on when I did the annual Trinity write up :)

It's a great event! Thanks for offering everyone the helpful link.

Annie Empiric said...

How pretty! fallen fruit: summer, orange is absolutely beautiful.

Happy New Year