Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

12.01.2008

Giving in the 60s, Week IV


By the late 60s, modern design had clearly permeated the realm of children's furnishings and toys. Stylized animals were all the rage. Here are a few of House Beautiful's choices for gift giving in 1968. The nursery mural shown at the top, "Lionland," was illustrated by John Burningham. A graphic overstuffed colorblock pig came from Sweden.

This abstracted foam alligator was composed of cushions that pulled apart to form other creatures. Below, a fabric covered rocking horse and fur-trimmed lion shoe bag/pajama bag set.



Click here for a loosely related past post.

8 comments:

Karena said...

Courtney, I remember those darling pajama bags! Too cute!!

The Peak of Chic said...

I adore that overstuffed pig! I want that for my apartment! ;)

Style Court said...

Very cool Karena!

Style Court said...

Jennifer -- maybe they are collected. Like the vintage leather "Abercombie" or Omersa animals. Maybe they are out there somewhere?

Pigtown-Design said...

No, Jennifer. I want the pig!

Chakra Pennywhistle said...

Oh wow! My favorite installment so far! I like it all and I know that my little one would as well :)

Style Court said...

Hi Chakra -- I'm so glad. It is all so graphic :)

Renee Finberg said...

i love this guy