Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

12.06.2008

Crescent City Christmas

Gallery owner and artist, Amanda Stone Talley, is celebrating in her spirited hometown, New Orleans, and wrapping her presents in a thrifty but soulful style. For the tiny gifts it's tea paper from Pearl River bound with twine and a twig painted gold. "I just get a small limb, spray it gold, and then break off a little piece for each present."


Talley earned her MFA at SCAD, she was a Fighting Squirrel, and for eight years she worked with Gerrie Bremermann. Imagine all the interesting things she's seen.

Next week she will be showing some of her more modestly priced work -- small cubes priced between $120 to $160 -- as part of a casual happening at her gallery, Studio Amanda Talley, 2369 Magazine Street. If you plan to be in the area, be sure and stop by. To learn more about Amanda's work, click here. Soon we just may be seeing a few new festive Crescent City sights, courtesy of her iPhone, so stay tuned.

The image below is via Cami McCormick and CBS News. Click here to see the entire 2006 photo essay with a diverse range of images from a Big Easy holiday.


For more of Thomas Jayne's wonderful New Orleans digs, click here.

Kerry Moody also incorporates citrus in his decorations. Note the red candles. Images courtesy Southern Accents.


Moody's decanters are 19th-century, the coffee set and gumbo bowls are Vieux Paris, also 19th-century, and entree dishes are Sheffield. Note too the traditional French sweets. Here's a direct link to holiday tips from Kerry.

Below, Moody at work, arranging vignettes for Lucullus.


And of course Amanda's former boss, Gerrie Bremermann, sets an exquisite table.

Images here are also courtesy SA.




15 comments:

Pigtown-Design said...

One of my most favourite cities in the US!

Style Court said...

Meg -- I know you are doing great things with the tea paper too!

Karena said...

What beautiful art, I love it!

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Great post...what a cute way to wrap, too!

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Great post...what a cute way to wrap, too!

court. said...

I love the wreath and greenery with the oranges. We have a TON of citrus lying around the kitchen due to a "buy-one, get-one-free"-loving boyfriend who went overboard at the grocery store. I'd love to make another wreath w/ oranges. Anyone know how affix them to a wreath? Thanks!

Style Court said...

Hi Court -- great question! Let me see if I can find out.

Style Court said...

I think wire or wooden picks are typically used to affix fruit to greenery. Not sure what happens to all the juice.

court. said...

Thank you! I was wondering what I'd do about the impending rotting...I guess we'll see. I'll post pics if it ends up happening.

Mrs. Blandings said...

Courtney - I love it when you add on a bit - keeps me on my toes. That first image with the oranges reminds me of that HG image with the oranges and the roses or peonies. Heaven.

Style Court said...

It was fun to put this together Patricia :)

Gina said...

The oranges and the greenery are so beautiful. I'll try and copy that.

Gina from Germany

Style Court said...

Hope it works out for you Gina! It's such a great look.

Things That Inspire said...

Thank you so much for the introduction to Amanda Talley! I love her work, it really speaks to me.

Style Court said...

Hi Sarah -- happy to make the introduction!