Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

11.21.2008

A List from Janet and Emily (And a Reminder from Erin)

I think many of you know that Janet Blyberg and Regency expert, Emily Eerdmans, were classmates at Attingham. Emily is an accomplished author and the woman behind the lavish new book, Regency Redux. So Janet asked her colleague to share an annotated list of her top five design books. The titles have a decidedly anglophile bent, and I was pleased to see that I own several of them.

Click here to read Janet's blog post. Maybe you can find some of these at your local library this weekend. Above is one of Emily's picks, the always popular Colefax book, paired with a 2007 holiday card from domino. Colefax and Fowler's "Jubilee Rose" is the print used for both. (In Atlanta, copies of C & F should be available at the Northside and Central branches of our public library system.)

BTW: Emily has a great line about wrapping presents this year. She says, "I think more than any year it's all about the thought and personalization that goes into a gift rather than how lavish or expensive it is, and presentation is such a big part of that." This concept will be the theme next week as I share more ideas from designers and artists. (Emily thinks she may stick with gold paper and silver ribbon.)


Erin just reminded me about Bell'occhio. Since I posted some of their wares way back when, the website has greatly improved. Highly unusual boxes and luxe ribbons! Perhaps not super-thrifty, but fun to browse.

And another holiday-related reminder: please click here for details on the big Lulu DK sale.

10 comments:

Janet said...

I completely agree...it is all about the presentation. The smallest thing can become wonderful if you put a little magic into it! Love the fish...so cute (note: the first two initials embroidered on the napkin!). And thanks for the link ~ Emily really put together a fantastic list.

Style Court said...

Janet -- she did! And I like how you expressed it: "put a little magic into it!"

Mrs. Blandings said...

The boxes and the striped string! Oh, my.

Style Court said...

Imagine those green boxes with Blandings black grosgrain!

stacy McCallum said...

Bellochio was one of my favorite haunts when we lived in SF so pretty but so expensive!

robyn said...

I love bell'occhio, claudia is the Best!

Style Court said...

Stacy, Robyn -- I hope one day to visit it! Just placed a small order.

Pigtown-Design said...

I {heart} Janet. She's just the most incredible, charming and bright young women. And soooo nice, too!

Lee said...

Thank you for the note about Bell'occhio. We didn't visit them last time we were in SF, and the time before that, the windows were covered with brown paper and we thought they had closed. They've been a favorite since they were featured in the early days of Victoria.

Style Court said...

I have discovered that some of the bell'occhio items have a long lead time, so I suggest inquiring about details when timing matters. The service is very friendly though.