Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

11.12.2008

Giving in the 60s, Week II


Here are more examples of gifts that House Beautiful was suggesting chic readers buy in December 1968. These happen to be from the $25 or under category. There's a 14" stain-resistant cocktail tray with bird and branch motif, priced at $14. The tray is accompanied by "Ripple" stacking glass designed by Timo Sarpaneva, $4 each.

The copper-clad stainless-steel crepes pan has a round warmer for Sterno. $25.

I love the red of this Verichron barometer, $20.

And I would definitely be happy to receive these Glass Martini pitchers with sterling-silver bases. How about you? In 1968 they cost $8.50 each.

HB's suggested gift wrap, shown at the top, looks pretty fashion forward to me too. All these years I thought Martha Stewart and Eric Pike invented the tailored approach to layering strips of ribbon on a box. I even copied this one year. Of course the Stewart team always put together the most amazing color combinations.

BTW: If you are passionate about ribbon, be sure to read this related post from Kaari Marie.

Also, the red Greek key ribbon that I ordered from M & J arrived today. It's very easy to work with and ties nicely, so I heartily recommend it. (For more paper ideas visit Paper Mojo.)

15 comments:

Nest Eclectic said...

I would love to use that for a trim on an ottoman. I am going to try and make my first ottoman this weekend.
Thanks for the inspiration!

www.nesteclectic.blogspot.com

Style Court said...

Hi Nest -- good luck with your ottoman! For more choices in the upholstery weight Greek key trim, try lsfabrics.com

Porchlight Interiors said...

Things haven't changed too much in the last 40 years - except prices! Gorgeous post! Tracey x

Style Court said...

Tracey -- I agree, the gifts haven't really changed that much :)

Mrs. Blandings said...

Courtney - the funny thing is, thanks to Target and the like, the prices aren't really all that different. Except for the pitchers. The pitchers are terrif.

Paris Hotel Boutique said...

Courtney, what a great and clever post! Love it! You know me...would love to go back to 1968 and buy some goodies at those prices! Lynn

Chakra Pennywhistle said...

Love that tray and this post!

Ivy Lane said...

Great post! Love that tray and the martini pitchers!

hansaxel said...

gosh I want this red tufted sofa on the first pic!

Style Court said...

Hansaxel -- the red, red and red is really striking together, isn't it?

Style Court said...

Lynn, Patricia, Ivy and Chakra -- glad you spotted some things you like :)

hansaxel said...

Style court - You're absolutely right, it is very daring, but not cold at all - just love it... But then again, I really like red all over - I fell in love with Diana Vreeland's red apartment the first time I saw it.

annechovie said...

There's something very comforting about those vintage magazines. Love the old photos. That Greek key ribbon is so beautiful, too, Courtney. You always have the best wrapping ideas!

Style Court said...

Thanks Anne! I agree it's comforting to see enduring things.

The Peak of Chic said...

Those pitchers are fantastic! Wonder what they would cost today??