Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

11.03.2008

Giving in 1968

We all seem fascinated by what endures in decorating -- the fabrics and chairs that never look tired, even after four decades, or the accessories that go decidedly out of style only to come back again with a vengeance years later. Since we're approaching holiday season, I thought it would be fun to look at the gifts House Beautiful was suggesting to chic readers in December 1968. I'll share just a few off and on throughout the coming weeks. See which ones you think stand the test of time.

Above, "a cozy Pucci pink-and-orange wool afghan from Lord & Taylor, a no-nonsense Staffordshire lion and a wondrously emblazoned ostrich egg." The magazine's stylist used a backdrop of "Montargis" French documentary chintz from Brunschwig & Fils. Shown at the top, sheer scented stationery with mod lining and "Youth Dew" blotter. At $5, this set was one of HB's under $25 offerings.

15 comments:

Ivy Lane said...

What a great post! I was only 4 years old in 1968..wonder if my Mom read up on the gift ideas back then! The stationary set is so sweet. The Pucci afghan was probably a sure luxury gift back then. That would certainly stand the test of time in my home! :)

Style Court said...

Hi Ivy -- I agree the Pucci afghan feels very today!

Wonder if the stationery was an Estee Lauder gift of some sort? Maybe your mom had this issue.

Chakra Pennywhistle said...

I agree! The Pucci afghan would totally be on my wish list. I love this post and can't wait to see what's next :)

Brilliant Asylum said...

I would take the afghan in a heart beat. I wonder when they started getting so off-track?

Style Court said...

Glad you like it Chakra!

Style Court said...

Millie, maybe some fashion minded readers can chime in on that one :)

TonicHome said...

Since 1968 is my birth year, I'm loving this post! Can't wait to see what else you find. I have to agree that the Pucci afghan is a favorite and those colors are wonderful!

Style Court said...

TH --

Oh good. I have many more to share:)

katiedid said...

I love it all! Especially that afghan! I would have just the place for it.

robyn pope said...

nice post courtney, i like all of it!
I was so delighted to find a page about you and your blog in domino mag. this month. cheers : )

Style Court said...

Katie -- it would look great in your California home!

Robyn -- thanks so much!

Topsy Turvy said...

I don't think there were as many perfumes to choose from in those days, but everyone seemed to be wearing Estee Lauder's Youth Dew!

-Lana

Ms. Wis./Each Little World said...

Love the pink and orange — as a child of the 60s it was always a favorite. Still looks great and I'd snap it up in a minute.

Favorite perfumes were Guerlain (Shalimar or L'heure bleu if you could afford them) or Givenchy's L'Interdit. Youth Dew didn't have the aura of the others.

And as an aside on this election day, 1968 was the year of the assassinations of Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King, Jr. and the police riot at the Chicago convention. I was a college student and Christmas that year was subdued and quite sad. Everyone was glad to see that unhappy year end.

The Peak of Chic said...

All of the featured items would make me extremely happy in 2008! :)

Karena said...

Great afghan and yes, the stationary set is just beautiful, I was actually wearing Chanel #5 perfume at that time.