Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

10.21.2008

In Like a Lion

After spending so much time yesterday looking at Peter Beard's collages, I'm noticing decorative objects with lion motifs everywhere. Michelle put together a great post with all sorts of lion-related goodies. (Click here for more.)

And these terracotta lamps have been calling my name for a while.

Not inexpensive, they are rare 1970s handmade Italian lions. I've not seen anything quite like them before. Available through Hollywood at Home.

Around 1971, at her 18th-century country home outside of London, Lee Radziwell had on her mantle a pair of lion candle holders. The images shown above and below are cropped from a Horst photograph (Horst Interiors).

Her dining room walls were covered with lacquered Sicilian scarves. Superimposed over those were flower-wreathed painted panels by Lila de Nobili. More lions also appeared on the dining table, not pictured here.


Actually, quite a few of the homes included in Horst Interiors seem to have a lion somewhere in various rooms. I won't copy the whole book, but here is what appears to be a lion figure in Truman Capote's small Long Island house, circa 1963.

This precious vintage Steiff lion belongs to talented West Coast designer and blogger Katie D. It has been loved and handed down through several generations.

A wonderful small-scale but stately lion is currently in residence at the Kansas City shop, George.

The image at top is a detail of the terracotta lamp.

24 comments:

beachbungalow8 said...

When we were in Italy I noticed lion door knockers on doors every where. I kept taking photos (assuming they were 600 years old) and then stumbled upon a street kiosk selling them. old or not, they're such a great element.

Style Court said...

megan, did you come back with any?

i need to look back at your flickr album.

katiedid said...

This reminds me of the vintage Steiff lion that my father had as a child that I just packed away from my 13 year old's bedroom. She is too "grown up" for stuffed animals now. Sigh. I will have to wait along time for grandkids!

Style Court said...

Oh Katie, I would have loved to have had a Steiff lion! I had a sort of shabby one that I always kept close by.

So wonderful that you've kept your dad's.

Anonymous said...

Hi Courtney! Congrats on your Living room for InStyle! I was just looking thru my new issue and there was your name!

Love your picks and all under $1,569!
Dana

Style Court said...

Oh thanks Dana! Glad you liked it. So sweet of you to let me know.

Alex said...

I have a lion craze and recentl found a sweet spelter lion paper weight. But, if you are aching for a good Lion Knocker for you door - small ones too - email me. I'm going to England on an antique buying trip in 3 weeks.

Mrs. Blandings said...

What?! Darling Court -that was worth a mention. Congratulations. Do get yourself those lion lamps for a job well done! All much-deserved.

MABELLE said...

Thanks for the mention Courtney! And I agree, those lion lamps are amazing! I'll keep my eyes peeled for some less expensive vintage ones ;)

Also CONGRATS on your Instyle article!! I haven't seen it yet, but am literally running out the door now to check it out! :)

Style Court said...

Thanks Michelle!

Style Court said...

Alex -- thanks for letting us know. Appreciate it.

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Awww. You really got me at that stuffed Steiff. What-a-face!

Lions=Strength and loyalty. Good stuff1

Style Court said...

Hi Linda -- isn't Katie's animal a treasure?

Ivy Lane said...

I agree, treat yourself and go get those gorgeous lamps!! Love the door knocker as well! gotta go run and pick up InStyle!!! Congratulations! :)

Style Court said...

Thanks Ivy!

Karena said...

Love the lamps, and there is something so regal in the lion's and their demeanor, however even the Steiff lion is adorable.

dwellings and decor said...

This is a great collection of images. I am a Leo so naturally I love lions. I even got a really cool lion decal for my car. :)

Style Court said...

Hi Karena and Dwellings and Decor --

So glad you like these images. Lions are regal.

pve design said...

Perhaps you are too young, but I always adored "Anne Klein"- she had the most wonderful Lion Logo. She was my favorite. I still have a watch with the lion face with a silver link. Donna Karan designed for Anne prior to going out on her own.
My elementary mascot was a lion and in 3rd grade I drew a lion and it won the prize and was hung in the hall outside the principal's door.
Wishing I still had that lion.

Style Court said...

Patricia VE -- I wish we could all see the lion you drew! Clearly you are a natural artist who has always had a gift.

And I do remember the Klein logo :)

Mrs. Blandings said...

Thanks for adding George's lion! As a leo, lions have always held an appeal. btw, on second look, those lamps have a Calder-esque look to me for some reason.

Paul Pincus said...

i'm with mrs. blandings and ivy lane! get the lamps! they're gorgeous! besides, you deserve it ; )

i'm sure everyone here would agree, style court and an aesthete's lament are the two most entertaining and erudite weblogs, hands-down!!!

CONGRATULATIONS on InStyle!!!...i'm picking up my copy tonight!

Style Court said...

Paul -- flattered to be mentioned alongside Aesthete.

You are too generous, but thanks!

Style Court said...

there are so many excellent blogs out there, including yours. it's not possible anymore to pick favorites!