Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

10.22.2008

Decorating With Scarves Week


Eddie Ross just put together a helpful blog post about making pillows from scarves. His tutorial reminded me of the Bouvier sisters. (The other day I mentioned that in the 1970s Jackie O had sofa pillows made from her own Liberty silk scarves, and I think many of you already know that her sister, Lee Radziwell, had dining room walls covered with lacquered scarves.) A glance through vintage decorating books indicates that many other tastemakers enjoyed finding new uses for scarves too, especially in the late 60s and throughout the 70s.


If you are not a hands-on person, The Baobab Tree, a UK-based shop, sells pillows made from vintage Liberty scarves, as well as untouched scarves that can be used however you please.

Click here for more inspiration.

Book cover image courtesy Amazon.

20 comments:

beachbungalow8 said...

i think it's scarf blogging day!

eddie ross also did a great tutorial on using/making vintage scarves as pillows.

Style Court said...

Oh thanks for letting me know! I'll update my post.

Jaithan said...

thanks for the shout out! LOVE that print third one down!

Style Court said...

Hi Jaithan! I put this together over the weekend and had to hustle to edit when I realized Eddie had just done something similar :)

As always, love Eddie's tips!

Pigtown-Design said...

if you don't want to sew your scarves, and just want something simple, you can put the pillow at right angles on the scarf and then tie the scarf's ends together.

Style Court said...

meg -- it is the nautical influence, with you living so close to annapolis :)

Style Court said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

I love this idea. My favorite thing to search for in thrift stores are scarfs. You can find beautiful vintages ones that might not be your style to wear, but can make a great pillow. I completely agree with Eddie that a new toss pillow is a great way to change the way a room looks.

My go-to place for fabric for pillows is normally Century 21. I run there and actually pick up cloth napkins. Very inexpensive and make pillows out of them.

Style Court said...

Camila -- thanks for the tips! Good advice.

Mélanie said...

I love libery's fabric and what a wonderful ideal to make pillows out of scarf !
Thank you for the inspiration !
Camila is right , I should go shopping inexpensive scarfs somewhere

Style Court said...

melanie -- glad you are inspired!

Karena said...

Great ideas, using the scarves and even beautiful cloth napkins for pillow covers! I also have "One Special Summer"

annechovie said...

Courtney~
These scarves reminded me of these old Liberty "Tana Lawn" ties my dad had when I was little and kept for many years. I so wish I had asked him for them before he gave them to the Goodwill! They could have been made into something fabulous, I know.

Style Court said...

anne -- you definitely would have done something fabulous with them!

dolcechic said...

What a beautiful idea! So unique, they're absolutely gorgeous. My absolute favorite would have to be the last one...simply beautiful!

Style Court said...

dolce -- i like the last one too.

Down Comforter said...

lovely prints
i like ur blog

Style Court said...

Thanks Down Comforter!

•ciaotay• said...

I think we should meet bc I love the Jackie and Lee book also! So glad to know someone else has fab taste! ciao~

Style Court said...

Tay -- thanks again for stopping by. Always nice to hear from a kindred spirit.