Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

9.01.2008

Seasonal Changes



As I write this in advance, the full impact of Hurricane Gustav is yet to be determined. Whatever happens, the mood here in the Southern U.S. is quite sober so I'm starting September with a restrained blog post. Offered here are just a few reminders of simple, affordable things one can do around the house to transition from late summer to early fall.



Spice-hued flowers or foliage, as well as chartreuse blooms, look great in black urns. The small glass versions shown above range in size from about three to nine inches and cost between $15 and $48 at Jayson Home. Orange flowers are also striking in classic blue-and-white ceramics. If you use tapers in silver or brass candlesticks, switching from white to black candles can really add a rich touch in autumn. (The detail above is from Steven Gambrel's dining room.)

Certain Indian textiles -- napkins, a throw used as a tablecloth -- also feel perfect for fall. The images I've used here are from Assouline's sumptuous Rajasthan but readily available products can be found at Saffron Marigold and Les Indiennes.

More September flavor: the special ice blend and pumpkin-chocolate chip bread from San Francisco Coffee. Above, you may also notice Atlanta Intown Paper. This newspaper is focused on community leaders, volunteers, and small businesses, and it is one of the publications I contribute to. Over the years I've interviewed many teen volunteers, and written about exhibitions and organizations like Jerusalem House.

Currently, with General Manager Wendy Binns and Managing Editor Collin Kelley at the helm, I'm working on the monthly philanthropy and events calendar and contributing finds to the home section.


For September, Phoebe Howard was among the oh-so-helpful boutique owners who enabled us to get pretty shots of their offerings. Click here to read the online version and learn more about Howard's chic wood chargers, shown above, as well as the other chosen items on page 39.

[Credits: image at top is from Karen Carroll's Entertaining With Southern Style; images five and seven are from House Beautiful 750 Designer Secrets.]

16 comments:

Habitually Chic said...

I bought black urns just like the middle size at Nancy Koltes Home in NYC. I had no idea what I was going to do with them but I loved the shape. I was thinking of using them as a pot for a small topiary for a client but I may have to consider putting flowers in them now!

Style Court said...

Heather -- I'm sure yours are gorgeous! Topiaries sound great too. Whatever you do it will be chic!

Mary-Laure said...

These bouquets are all sublime, with their warm autumnal colors...

Style Court said...

Mary-Laure, glad you like them.

Mrs. Blandings said...

Courtney - every image a home run, I especially adore the fabrics. Your contribution to In Town is a delight and I'm sure your homies will be thankful for the resource. They are lucky to have you!

p.s. I love pumpkin almost anything - just right for now.

Style Court said...

Thanks so much Patricia.

MIMILEE said...

THANKS for my morning inspiration!

Every photo a delight to my eyes!

Best Regards,
MIMILEE<><

Style Court said...

Mimilee -- thanks for stopping by. Glad you found these images inspiring!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I really like your blog. I especially appreciate the beautiful textiles you've been posting lately.

Style Court said...

Anon -- what a nice thing to say. Thank you!

katiedid said...

I love this idea! I will be visiting Jayson Home to see about these urns. I love Fall. It is my favorite season, and we are starting to feel a little bit like Fall here in Sacramento. Thanks for the wonderful ideas.

Style Court said...

Oh good Katie, so glad this inspired. I love fall too!

Mélanie said...

I hope everything was fine !
This post is lovely , beautiful inspiration

Style Court said...

thanks mélanie!

The Peak of Chic said...

Oh look! There's your Tiffany Weave China :) It looks so pretty on the silver tray and colorful ottoman :)

Style Court said...

Thanks Jennifer! Your Sybil post was perfectly timed :)