Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

8.06.2008

Inspired by Angie


If eight years ago I'd had the vision to see past my grandmother's William and Mary bedspreads and the conventional -- to me at the time -- twin beds she had in the same configuration for fifty years, the look above could have been mine. Well, sort of.


This piece is a true daybed and a bit smaller than a classic twin. Charleston-based designer Angie Hranowsky found it in her client's closet. She explains,

"[The client] had an area at the top of her stairs that she didn't know what to do with. Later when she was showing me something else in this closet I said, 'what is that?' The size and style perfectly fit the space."

Angie adds that Raoul Textiles fabric (on the bed cover, bolsters and green pillows) was selected to work with other colors in her client's upstairs hall and throughout the house, which is at the beach. "So we also wanted something that felt modern and relaxed. Their handprinted linens and saturated patterns were perfect for this environment."


Many of us have inherited twin beds -- often spindle or spool style -- that perhaps seem boring and brown. But look how they come alive when sporting vibrant patterns and when used as a versatile daybed. For the nursery above Angie combined two antique headboards that her client already owned.

I hope this will inspire you to think twice before discarding a vintage twin!

Tara Guerard's baby's room and the second view of the beach daybed photographed by Julia Lynn

11 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

Courtney - I'm on the hunt for one myself to give an extra sleeping spot in the playroom. Spool would be the top of the list. Don't worry, I've passed on lots of stuff that I regret now. I guess you don't know what you don't know.

Style Court said...

Patricia -- I'll be anxious to hear what you find. Passing on my grandmother's was a big mistake. Angie's spin has totally transformed my view on these!

Brilliant Asylum said...

Adorable in both of these settings--and I especially love the details in the second room. I am now inspired to dig through my grandmother's basement for twin pieces.

Kari said...

Random, but I just came across mygazines.com and I thought you'd be interested in it, if you haven't already seen it. All sorts of Home and Design mags, usually great visual clarity.

Style Court said...

thanks kari!

millie, hope you find something great.

balsamfir said...

I love spool beds and they're often still a bargain if you go poking around. Even on Ebay, they're available. One of mine came off a bonfire about ten years ago.

katieh said...

Love this. This is a great idea for a guest room that also functions as a tv room/play room etc... I imagine more affordable than a sofa sleeper!)
I do remember reading in Domino a while back where someone said (was it Nina Campbell?) that you should never ever turn down an antique - even if it is not your style. Perhaps that's good advuce after all!

The Peak of Chic said...

Courtney- Like you and Patricia, I've passed on things too that I now regret. I guess it's just part of living and learning!

Paul Pincus said...

balsamfir is right about Ebay re: spool twin beds...and they can be very inexpensive!

that "true daybed" is gorgeous. cheers, courtney!

Pigtown-Design said...

Great idea about converting twin beds to day beds. I have two, and keep thinking about painting them gloss white.

My Notting Hill said...

Love the fabric on the first daybed and the daybed for that matter!