Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

8.17.2008

Indiana and Atlanta

For Morningside and Virginia Highland residents, checking out the frequently changing window displays at Providence Antiques is a popular thing to do on Sunday walks, so that's why you will notice multiple blog posts about the shop throughout the year. Right now the window is in transition, and a vintage Robert Indiana poster is the focal point.

Indiana's Love paintings and sculptures are among the most iconic Pop art images and were symbols of the free-wheeling late 1960s. By the early 70s, his work could be seen everywhere: on stamps, and indirectly in the graphic design for the cover of that 1970 bestseller, Love Story.




Ali MacGraw, circa 1970, as seen in Domino, October 2007.

Of course, I had to pop in Providence. Since brass animals have been a theme of late, I thought I'd share this turtle (the shell removes to reveal a small storage area). And the salt and pepper shakers made me think of The Peak of Chic and Mary McDonald.

Image at top is courtesy MoMA
Robert Indiana. (American, born 1928). Love, Indiana Stable May 66. 1966. Silkscreen, 32 x 24". Gift of Posters Original, Limited. © 2008 Morgan Art Foundation Ltd. / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York

17 comments:

MichelleandWinstontheWestie said...

I used to live in the Virginia Highlands area and didn't know about this! Next time I visit, it's on! Thanks!

Ivy Lane said...

The brass turtle would make a nice forgettery..yes?

Style Court said...

Michelle -- hope you enjoy the shop if you get to stop in!

Style Court said...

Ivy -- yes it would! Great idea.

Jennifer Ramos said...

LOVE it! Robert is totally Inspiring!

Jen Ramos
'100% Recycled DESIGNER Cards & More'
www.madebygirl.com
madebygirl.blogspot.com

Style Court said...

Jennifer -- glad you liked this one :)

Laura said...

I always look forward to your posts of Providence; driving by there each morning on my way to work is always a good way to start the day! It's one of my favorite places to buy gifts and I always leave feeling inspired.

Style Court said...

Laura -- I always love when you mention that you see these windows daily too. The shop (clearly) inspires me as well!

Paul Pincus said...

courtney: this was so much fun! indiana's love! ali macgraw! she was so fantastic and had such great style. love her.

i really covet that turtle. what a beauty. makes one want to start a turtle collection : )

Style Court said...

Paul, as always thanks for stopping by. It was fun to put this together. You're right, turtles could be the next thing. I think Peak of Chic has talked about the turtle candle holders before.

Cote de Texas said...

Memories !!!!! Ali McGraw - I wanted to BE her!

beachbungalow8 said...

i think that turtle needs to belong to you!

Style Court said...

Joni -- I bet you saw the movie a few times then :)

Megan -- no more room! Went crazy already with elephants.

Erin Sledd said...

I love Providence Antiques. I used to live in San Francisco (11 years) and Providence really exhibits the wonderfully edited wares one would expect in SF.

By the way, I found your blog while searching for a Holiday tartan pattern for a client's invitation project—what an unexpected pleasure!

Style Court said...

Erin -- Claudia will love reading your comment about her shop. And so glad you found me. Thanks for the kind words.

Anonymous said...

Style Court,

I get inspired from you! Thanks for the nods and it makes me feel so good when the shop or window inspires or puts a smile on people's faces.

Claudia

Style Court said...

Claudia -- wow! You left a comment. Very cool.