Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

7.15.2008

What Goes Around...


Today I received in the mail a well-known shelter mag's 1968 holiday issue. I'm saving it for later, but some of the story titles are so in-step with recent blog posts that it is amusing.

First there's Patchwork Quilting: Coming Into Colorful Renascence, with accompanying photos from the design studio of Parish-Hadley. The bench above (so Sister and a little Jonathan Adler too!) is shown as inspiration for the woman with no time to quilt; grosgrain ribbons are simply sewn together in a chic pattern. "Something she can do before Christmas." Also featured is an article, Whatever Happened to the Portrait?

Next is Animal Spirits: New Life for the Accessory. Animal figures are deemed "the" accessory to have that year. Shown above, three bronze 18th-century greyhounds from Joseph Braswell's collection.

6 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

OK, Courtney, I think that is a bit creepy, no?

Style Court said...

I thought so. I truly had no knowledge of the contents! I'm saving some of the other Parish images and the gift guides :)

coco+kelley said...

hmmm... VERY interesting! i'd say those trends have been hot for about a year or so, especially in the blog world. it think in the last 4-5 months i've gotten more bored with my mags because now they're the ones getting content from us bloggers!

Style Court said...

Hi Coco -- I should re-write the post to clarify that the magazine is from 1968!

Ann said...

That mag was from before I was even born. Patchwork quilting really looks nice and interesting but I don't think I'd have those dog figures in my house, just not my style. I'd rather have a real one who can wag his tail when he sees me.

Style Court said...

Hi Ann,

It's interesting to see how animal figures go in and out of vogue!