Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

7.22.2008

Not Another McMansion II


These days some people consider 1,900 square feet tiny, but decades ago homes of this size were considered quite normal. With a nod to the charms of modestly scaled houses, the August issue of Western Interiors features a style-packed Los Angeles residence designed by Betsy Burnham.


Throughout the house Burnham used bold, vertical strokes to avoid a quaint cottage feel and to make the rooms seem more generous. Note for example the vintage screen in the master bedroom and the punchy apple-green tiles in the bathroom. The really fun, fearless gestures though are in the living and dining rooms, so I won't spoil the surprise for those who don't yet have a copy of the magazine. If you are a Burnham fan and seek inspiration for a not-so-huge house, this a must see.

Photography by Matthew Millman. Thanks Mrs. Blandings for the tip!

14 comments:

Brilliant Asylum said...

I love the white lacquered bedside table. It's especially pretty in combination with the chinoiserie panels.

Be the change..... said...

I agree! In the past 20 years people suddenly need 4,000 SF to not feel 'cramped' - ridiculous!! I prefer a 1900 sf house to a large impersonal one anyday!

breathing in the dreaming world said...

The headboard in the bedroom is so dreamlike and beautiful.

On another note, you might enjoy the interview I just posted, of a designer who lived in a palace.

Mrs. Blandings said...

I'm glad you liked it - it is a great house!

Style Court said...

I agree with you all, the screen/headboard is a show-stopper and pairs so nicely with the glossy white table. So Betsy to mix modern and older finds.

Be the Change -- I know, I think the complaints about being cramped these days are funny sometimes :)

TonicHome said...

I'm loving those large green square tiles in the bathroom. They make such a happy statement and I don't think I would tire of the look at all.

As for square footage - I'm all about only having what you need. I've always thought that more space, would just mean more cleaning - ugh!

Style Court said...

tonic -- great point about the cleaning! I love the tiles too.

Riley said...

Yes, it's a little disturbing to see beautiful and quaint smaller houses being torn down in favor of soaring and huge houses that don't look appropriate for the lot - let alone the region they are built in.

Our little house is only 1600 s/f and was built in 1979. It has 3 bedrooms and 2 baths - all of which are of decent size. Because of the open floorplan, it seems much bigger and we're able to entertain easily.

Besides, I have enough stress trying to decide how to decorate that 1600 s/f.... I can't imagine twice that!! ;-)

Style Court said...

Riley -- yes, 20 rooms plus assorted out-buildings would be a huge decorating task!

SimplyGrove said...

I love how they used that screen as a headboard! Lovely!

pve design said...

Love a not-so-huge home with style. Take that any day over a cavernous one sans style.

annechovie said...

I love cottages and bungalows. I also love Burnham's style. Thaks for the tip, I will have to check out this issue, Courtney!

breathing in the dreaming world said...

I actually meant the screen behind the headboard that's so dreamlike and beautiful.

katiedid said...

Thanks Courtney, and Mrs. B! I am a Burnham fan so this is very fun to see. The bedroom is wonderful.