Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

7.17.2008

The Huntress

The massive reorganization of my oldest tear-sheets continues and along the way I'm finding some great apartments. For example, the home of cosmetic company executive Marjorie Wollan, as seen in Elle Decor (maybe from the late 90s).

According to Wollan, her NYC residence reflects an "urban French sensibility," the undecorated look. She tells the magazine, "Beautiful old apartments in Paris are rarely 'decorated' in the strict sense of the word -- there are simply objects and pieces of furniture that someone loves, treated almost like works of art..."

This approach is a good fit for Wollan because she is a self-described flea market addict, having made purchases across the globe while traveling on business. The rooms shown here are brimming with her random finds. Classic ticking stripes, and crisp navy, white and red unify everything. Hiding somewhere in my stacks of pictures there is also a white sofa with multi-colored tassel trim -- sounds dreadful but looks very cool.

Wollan believes that if you only buy objects you love, everything will eventually fall into place. I think this is great advice, especially if you are trying to acquire "forever" pieces and build a room over time. It should be noted though that when Wollan did settle in here and bring together all these collected items, she had the luxury of great architecture as a backdrop: built-in bookcases, French doors and other details were all customized for her.

Continuing with France and stripes, I also stumbled upon a spread from Traditional Home, March 1999. Shown above is the tented courtyard of Marc Charlat and Bernard Montalegre.

15 comments:

robyn said...

Love this post Courtney- hope you're well : )

Style Court said...

I'm so glad Robyn! Hope you and your family are having a great summer.

traci said...

Would you share how you are reorganizing your tearsheets? Because I am desperately in search of a better method than the one I have going now (or maybe I should say, the lack of a method that i have going now)!!! Thanks! Love your blog!

Style Court said...

hi Tracy -- thanks! I'll post an image and explanation Friday.

Mrs. Blandings said...

And a quilt. I'm just saying - it's in the air this week.

louise said...

I like her decorating philosophy which has manifested a beautiful home using must-have, found treasures in such an inviting, relaxed way that displays her personality. Love this post!

The Peak of Chic said...

Good luck with the reorganization project! I love the image at top- very chic and very French!

Style Court said...

Great observations Louise!

Style Court said...

Traci -- sorry I misspelled your name!

Anonymous said...

I reorganized all my tearsheets when I was pregnant and on bedrest a few years ago-- it was a lot of fun to go through pages I hadn't looked at in years. On most of them, I could instantly recognize the smallest element that made me save the page. Now I'm a mess again, though, and am going to have to reorganize some more. Looking forward to reading about your method!

Style Court said...

Anon -- I so agree about that one small detail that prompts us to save a page! There is usually a common thread even among disparate images.

Anonymous said...

I love the philosophy of just buying things you truly love and somehow they'll all fit together. This makes me think about the current Southern Accents cover home. It really bothered me, all the blue and white, because all I could think was, what if they find something that isn't blue or white? Will they be able to put it in their home? It's so overwhelming! Did they find a fabric and then think, "Oh, wait, does it come in blue/white?"
On another note, I love that little bathroom niche for some reason. When you collect things you love, everything has a meaning and can stand alone, as opposed to buying a whole set of furniture because it matches. Then you get tired of it and want to get a whole other set... When each piece is loved, you can switch it from the bedroom to the living room to the family room...
Love your blog-- always!
Katie

Style Court said...

Hi Katie -- thanks! I feel the same way about versatile pieces and being able to move things around.

Maybe some people find it soothing to just pick one color scheme, so blue-and-white works for them.

But like you, I think the ability to layer, build slowly is just great :)

Cote de Texas said...

that bedroom reminds me so much of Windsor's - doesn't it? wonder if she had this tear sheet.

Style Court said...

Joni -- I so agree! Thought of Windsor too.