Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

9.15.2008

Coming Soon...

In case you missed it last year this interesting magazine, known in part for its beautiful art direction, photographed fall fashions on location at the Dorothy Draper-designed Greenbrier. Isn't that a great shot? Except for the hairstyle it's a bit Betty Draper (as in Mad Men, no relation to Dorothy).

This fall another arresting view of the West Virginia luxury resort will be seen on the cover of Emily Eerdman's highly anticipated Regency Redux. (Click here to read Jennifer Dwyer's preview of the book.)

Emily and I have a mutual passion for art history, so recently I asked her to share a few of her favorite films that showcase Regency style. She has delightful insights, including points about the connection between Hollywood Regency and challenging economic times. I'll be back shortly to post them.

BTW: Laura deserves credit for introducing me to the striking photography found in the magazine mentioned above.

16 comments:

pve design said...

Oh what a stunning enfilade - a treat for the eyes. The wall colors lead one's eyes to the fireplace across those polished floors. Lavish.

Style Court said...

PVE -- imagine what your illustration of the enfilade would look like!

Mrs. Blandings said...

This one, I can't wait for.

Esra said...

These shots are so inspiring and breathtaking. Thank you for posting this!

Style Court said...

Esra -- glad you like them!

The Peak of Chic said...

I can't wait for this book- I know it's going to be amazing :)

GrannySmithGreen said...

I'm in love. The room is great. The photography is great...I could go on and on. Can you tell I like it?

Visual Vamp said...

I want to organize a get together of all the decor bloggers at Greenbrier. Would you come, or do you think it's a lame idea?

Visual Vamp said...

Guns and Garden! How funny, but how fab is this magazine!!!!

Style Court said...

GSG -- so glad you like these images too.

Style Court said...

VV -- a very creative location for that idea! Not sure about my upcoming travel plans though. Flattered that you asked :)

Mackenna said...

i found this mag hiding behind many others in a very small san diego bookshop and fell in love. it has the most amazing photography and beautiful writing as well, i believe the name was inspired by a charleston watering hole of the same name. people make fun of me for liking this magazine but i think it very tidily summarizes the idealized southern lifestyle.

Style Court said...

MacKenna,
Yes. The writing is superb. And the subjects are far more diverse than people might guess -- Bo Diddley, John Alexander, Morgan Freeman, Castle Hill. It's great based on what I've seen so far.

columnist said...

I love the enfilade perspective, and these are two great pictures of it!

•ciaotay• said...

love the lavish greenbrier + ADORE Ms. Draper!

decorative deluxe said...

I love that top image - that is a fabulous cased opening!