Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

7.10.2008

Chic is Where You Find it (Part III)


Some of you may remember that when design legend Bonnie Cashin died, she left many of her possessions to the young curator who had tirelessly researched her life and work, Stephanie Lake. Today Lake serves as creative director of The Bonnie Cashin Foundation and has decorated her own chic office using Cashin treasures: the famous "graffiti doors" with quotes from the designer's heroes, as well as a self portrait Bonnie painted in the 1950s.


A mock-up of Lake's monograph about Cashin is on the table and the volumes contain photographs of the fashion designer's work, each labeled with a photo of Bonnie in the given period. Be sure to note the slipper chairs; Lake recently had them recovered using the "wrong" side of the fabric for an industrial edge.

She comments, "You can just see a bit of this on the portrait wall, but I also custom-mixed straight gold and silver metallic furniture paint (the kind that specifically says for small surfaces only) for the walls, making random block patterns as I went along. I have to hire out when I want a conventional surface (I cannot be trusted to let anything dry appropriately, or to cover surfaces evenly) but this was perfect for my lack of patience."

15 comments:

a. said...

What a great look!

Paul Pincus said...

the famous "graffiti doors" with quotes from the designer's heroes

courtney: thank you for the intro to bonnie cashin. those doors!!! the image kinda startled me...they're so beautiful. you're right, the chairs are gorgeous...and so is that table.

cheers.

Style Court said...

A. and Paul -- I think Stephanie did a superb job! So I'm happy you appreciate the room and the doors too.

Mrs. Blandings said...

A truly unique and personal interior - the ultimate compliment in my book. I adore the finish on the walls and completely understand the impatience factor. It endears her to me further.

Style Court said...

Patricia -- wish I'd thought to use the word personal -- just perfect.

Brilliant Asylum said...

I love the self-portrait. It captures the unique period of style perfectly.

ericka said...

The quotes on the wall are fantastic...I really like decorative "inspiration" and I am definitely going to incorporate this element somewhere in our apt.!! Thanks so much for such an eye opening post! Chic indeed!

Style Court said...

Millie -- I agree.

Erika -- so excited you want to interpret this in your own home. These quotes are great. Will you research other ones on your own too?

Nell E said...

this is a great series---inspired and inspiring. Are the quotes on the graffiti doors collected anywhere - couldn't find on the Foundation website. A little magnified sleuthing of your photos yielded a few, would be nice to know more.

Actually, would be fun to see submissions from other readers and bloggers---what would be on their own graffiti walls?

Style Court said...

Nell-- love your idea. I'll try to find out if they were ever published as a group.

pve design said...

Adore Cashin- she was a wonderful designer and her designs inspire many. I feel inspired to do a wall like that or a folding screen.

Style Court said...

Patricia VE -- I know any wall or screen you do will be fabulous.

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

I love the combination of these colors with the elegant slipper chairs. So amusing!

PS Many thanks for your comment re my little book deal. I hope I am up for the challenge. eek!

Style Court said...

Maryam -- I know you are up for it and more!

Steve Leavitt said...

So glad Stephanie has preserved the Graffiti Walls. I worked for Bonnie in the early 80's and remember these well. Bonnie was a true american original and a great mentor and inspiration...