Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

6.23.2008

Summer Reed


Hopefully I'll be among the first to arrive at the book store tomorrow to pick up a copy of Julia Reed's highly anticipated, The House on First Street: My New Orleans Story.



Four weeks after Reed moved into her historic Garden District house, Katrina hit. But the writer is quick to point out that she counted herself among the fortunate, and she decided to stay. This book is the story of the aftermath.

The image shown top was not taken in the charming Garden District, it is a Francois Halard photo (Vogue February 2001) of Reed's former French Quarter residence. You may have seen it before on this blog but I don't think I have ever discussed her desk. Inspired by a designer's similar table spied in The World of Interiors, Reed says she made one herself with plywood and other materials from Home Depot. I think it's interesting to see how she mixed the pedigreed -- 19th century engravings and other antiques -- with the homemade writer's desk.

If you happen to be reading this while on vacation, here is Julia's recipe (courtesy Southern Accents) for a refreshing Pimm's Royale.

Yield: 6 (1⁄2-cup) servings

1 1⁄2 cups Pimm’s No.1
1 navel orange, halved and thinly sliced
1⁄2 cup packed fresh mint leaves
1 1⁄2 cups Brut Champagne, chilled
6 cucumber spears
Garnishes: fresh mint sprigs, orange slices

1. In a large pitcher, combine Pimm’s, orange slices, and fresh mint leaves. Chill. Gently stir in Champagne just before serving.

2. To serve, place one cucumber spear in each glass; fill halfway with ice. Pour Pimm’s mixture over ice. Garnish, if desired.

Searching for a glass pitcher? Apartment 48 offers this hobnail version, $95. And below is Williams Sonoma's perfectly understated style, $30.



To read the full Vogue article, visit the press section of Thomas Jayne's site. Cocktail photo by Becky Luigart-Stayner for Southern Accents.

13 comments:

erika @ urban grace said...

Ooohh will have to 'reed' this. Just finished The Last Summer of You and Me - enjoyed it. A good plane/airport read. Cant' wait to read this one, AND I love her desk!

The Peak of Chic said...

Courtney- I'm excited about this book too! Reed is one of my favorite writers, and "Queen of the Turtle Derby" is one of my all-time faves!

Style Court said...

Erika -- isn't a cool desk?

Jennifer -- sounds like we have similar taste in writers and decorative arts!

Anonymous said...

Courtneu-

Thanks to you and your mention of this book several weeks ago - my copy from Amazon is on its way! I received notice that it has been shipped. Did you see the article of Julia in Town & Country?

I love your blog and learn something new everyday. Thanks for all of the inspiration!

Dana in Virginia

Style Court said...

Dana -- I missed that in T & C but will now hunt for it! Thanks for the kind words and the tip.

Riley said...

I loved the magazine spread with her when you posted it before - that desk IS amazing!! And how cool that she built it herself. But more than the desk, I love the look and feel of the room - the light, and that beautiful lush garden beyond!
Can't wait to pick up her book. New Orleans is one of my favorite cities, so it will be an interesting read.

Style Court said...

Riley -- the lush garden beyond is one of my favorite parts!

Letty said...

Style Court,
From an Uptown New Orleanian, thank you for your post. Your site is beautiful!

Sincerely,
www.lettynola.com

Style Court said...

Oh thanks Letty! Appreciate it.

London Calling said...

Clever post title. I'll look for the book.

katiedid said...

Another one for my wish list! (I do have a birthday coming up.) Thanks Courtney. I saw an article somewhere about Reed recently also...but not T&C. I will have to track it down.

(BTW some handsome elephants for you in my daytripping post!:)

The Peak of Chic said...

So, did you get the book? How is it??? Can't wait for an update :)

Style Court said...

I've already finished it! Love it!