Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

6.17.2008

Made in the Shade





Remember back when I mentioned Kelly Wearstler's latest master closet? According to Australian Harper's Bazaar, Wearstler has a collection of vintage parasols that are showcased in a closet at her family's 1920's estate in Beverly Hills. (When her third book is released, we should get a peek inside.)

This display of pretty Asian-style parasols in the windows of Mitzi & Romano on North Highland Avenue in Atlanta made me think again about Wearstler's collection and wonder what hers is like.



[Photography above, Luca Trovato, Town & Country, February 1999.]


In 1993, the Japan Society was the site of an exhibition, Rain and Snow: The Umbrella in Japanese Art. The show covered roughly 400 years of the umbrella's romantic history in Japan, and art historian Julia Meech wrote the first scholarly work about these iconic pieces. She covered the painstaking craftsmanship that once went into making them and explained that umbrellas were rarely decorated by artists until the 20th century. For more see this interesting New York Times story. The catalog is available here.

15 comments:

Decorno said...

Love those.

Reminds me of this company here in rainy Seattle that rents new and vintage umbrellas and parasols for weddings and other events. It's like buying insurance for your big day. :)

http://vintage.bellaumbrella.com/default2.aspx

Style Court said...

Oh cool -- thanks I'll check it out.

Mrs. Blandings said...

funny - there was a basket with several in it at the estate sale where I bought my bell. At the time I was waffling - this has given me full-on regret.

katiedid said...

I love this post. My girls have been fascinated with parasols since they were little. Every time we go to China town, they want a new one. That and Chinese lanterns. The wedding photo is wonderful.

katiedid said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Style Court said...

katie -- i think your girls would love the shop i photographed!

Style Court said...

patricia -- you could have done something charlotte moss-inspired :)

les reveurs yeux said...

Beautiful images. I've been collecting antique silk and ceremonial kimonos and will
try to put them in a future post.

Style Court said...

LRY --

Sounds intriguing :)

Cote de Texas said...

C: I am curious - what do you mean "Moss" inspired? Has she done something with parasols that I've missed or are you just wishing? sounds intruiging.

Joni

Style Court said...

Hey Joni,

Well there was a guest bedroom -- maybe a showhouse bedroom -- with a parasol affixed to the bed. I'll see if I can dig it up. Then there is a photo of Charlotte with her nieces and parasols, and I know there have been paper lanterns in the townhouse. Not sure about the parasols there.

Suzy said...

I am positively dying for her new book to come out...I am so curious to see what shes done this time around. Not sure if I can hang on 'til next year!

Style Court said...

Suzy--me too!

Brilliant Asylum said...

I am saving the photo of the beautiful green and white pattern parasol. Thanks for the inspiration!

Style Court said...

Oh good Millie, I'm glad.