Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

5.18.2008

Southern Cosmopolitan



Sorbonne-educated gallery owner Timothy Tew seems to be one of those fascinating guys who is equally at home in Paris or Georgia. Case in point: his 90s apartment on Myrtle Street, a four-room residence inside a languid looking old circa 1910 clapboard, located within walking distance of Atlanta's dynamic High Museum.




If I had not mentioned the decade, could you date his interiors? With a mix of hand-me-down antiques, vintage finds, and of course salon-style groupings of art, they look rather timeless to me.

In her book, Atlanta at Home design journalist Frances Schultz quotes Tew as saying, "The South gave me an appreciation for gentility and beautiful things. There is a certain aesthetic here, and an appreciation for tradition, that I respect without being restricted by. And then living in Paris influenced me a great deal..."

What strikes me is the graceful quality of all his pieces -- from the mid-century desk to the antique sofa to the kitschy ceramic lamps. The art and upholstery add the spice, and can be rotated, but the core furniture is forever. (Click images to better see the details.)

All images are from Atlanta at Home, Wyrick & Company, 1994.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

The facade of that home is lovely, the interior of the apt. very interesting!

Style Court said...

Hi Anon,

Yes, those tree-lined residential streets that still exist so close to the Woodruff Arts Center, for example in Ansley Park, are one of Atlanta's best features!

SimplyGrove said...

I love the furniture pieces he has picked. Beautiful!!

Muriel said...

Oe la la I love the house, so cosy.

Blue and Brown Bedding said...

Oh my. Just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know the painter of that disturbing and beautiful painting that is hanging above him?

Style Court said...

Hi Anon,

I think it's a Becker -- let me check.

Style Court said...

yes, to the best of my knowledge, it's a Haidee Becker -- an artist represented on Tew's website.

beachbungalow8 said...

that home is lovely. i miss those big old homes. he's certainly right, gentile and beautiful, inside and out.

An Aesthete's Lament said...

The sofa. The sofa. I want the sofa.

Style Court said...

Aesthete,

I know!! It's so chic with the perfect amount of slouch.

annechovie said...

I love his eclectic style and art collection. Also, my grandparents used to live on Myrtle Street in the 1940's!

Style Court said...

Anne, that' so cool :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info. on the painter, Style Court!

Brilliant Asylum said...

I am a big Timothy Tew fan. I love his house and would gladly have anything in his beautiful gallery. He has a great eye.

Mélanie said...

I love his style but above all his collection if paintings

Things That Inspire said...

Tew's contemporary art gallery in Atlanta is one of my favorites. I love its location, and browsing in the gallery is like being invited into the private brownstone of a friend.

The only thing that dates this picture is Timothy himself...his hair is not so dark now!

Style Court said...

Sarah -- good point :)