Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

5.19.2008

Autobiographical Cabinet


Cabinet doors used as inspiration boards are nothing new. Usually, though, this is done on craft room cupboards or more utilitarian office cabinets. But architect Piero Castellini Baldissera opted to get creative with a chic, Chinese-red cabinet prominently on view in his Tuscan living room.

Ribbons tacked to the doors hold personal photos and sketches. Adding to the effortless Old World glamour is the collection of beautifully bound vintage issues of Country Life nestled in with more pictures and collected objects. Placed on top are are old architectural instruments.

This cabinet is featured in Caroline Clifton-Mogg's Decorating with Antiques.


You may remember from a past post that Charlotte Moss has her collection of Vogue magazines hand-bound in red leather. Photo via New York Social Diary.

16 comments:

Cote de Texas said...

Charming - makes me want to do something like that. In fact - I really need a cabinet like this for my guest room to put a tv in it.


Joni

Style Court said...

Joni, don't you want to bind all your old magazines like that? In a pattern or in red leather!

beachbungalow8 said...

is that what those are? bound magazines? courtney, i'd love to see a posting on that!

Style Court said...

megan,
I used my magnifying glass and read "country life 1965" etc.
I have a picture of charlotte moss' vogues in red leather but I will try to find more!

The Peak of Chic said...

I love how Moss bound her Vogue magazines in red leather. That's something to save our $$$ for!

pve design said...

Makes me want one.
RIGHT NOW!
A designer's dream....The inspiration cabinet!

Meander said...

Hey I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your blog - so interesting, magazines bound in leather, finally someone who hoards them like I do, wish I could afford to display them the same way! Also, I included one of your pics. on my blog today and added you to my roll - hope that's ok. Keep up the fabulous work, you inspire!

Style Court said...

Meander -- i'm flattered! Thanks!

Pigtown-Design said...

It's all i can do to get magazines in mag. holders, let alone bound by year!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

That is SO charming!
I love it!

Marnie said...

love the cabinet doors as fancy bulletin board

Lipstick said...

I have been a lurker for awhile and not sure if I've ever commented. I love your blog...it is always so pretty,so stunning, so visually stimulating...a daily read for me.

Style Court said...

Lipstick!
So glad you stopped to comment. Thank you for all the positive words. I love it.

Mélanie said...

I love this cabinet ! Great inspiration

Anna Spiro said...

Gorgeous! Wow - binding magazines, now that's and idea!!
XX
Anna

beachbungalow8 said...

courtney, you KILL me. i would do the same. i examine interesting photos and don't miss A THING.