Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

3.03.2008

Versatile Lulu




Highly personal and imaginative, Lulu de Kwiatkowski's fabrics and wallpapers are essentially modern and clean-lined. Often her designs are inspired by centuries-old architecture and ornament, but her look is always youthful. So I'm continually fascinated to see her prints used successfully -- and very frequently -- in more traditional interiors. Maybe one phenomenon of Lulu's fabric line is its versatility.

Throughout the week I'll show examples of Lulu DK's designs used in settings very different from her own home.




Above, Kelly Crago Hansen chose Lulu DK's "Paradiso," a hand-print on linen/cotton featuring birds and fish, for the cabana curtains and table linens in her 2006 vignette seen at Dining By Design, Atlanta. Hansen told me she was inspired by Royal island getaways done-up by famed British designer Oliver Messel.

Top image of Lulu is from Food & Wine

18 comments:

ALL THE BEST said...

I adore both her and her fabrics. Always fresh, always youthful!

Style Court said...

Ronda, I agree. She has great personal flair :)

balsamfir said...

The lighting post won't let me comment, so I'm doing it here. Do you have an online source for shades? I actually liked the black ones and the flax one you used on your chinese gentleman best, but a friend wanted help with shades on a vintage light.

Style Court said...

Hi Balsamfir,
I ordered the small black pagoda shade through an Asian antique store -- no online option. The nubby citrine drum shade was custom made at Sun Lighting in Atlanta. This is usually more affordable than you think.

White linen drum shades are available online through Pottery Barn. Try googling pagoda shade or visit a lamp shop in your town -- a shop that makes shades. Always worth a try.

If I find something more specific online I'll post it!

Mrs. Blandings said...

Courtney - I can't comment on the latest post (and oh, how I would love to learn to do that.) but I wanted to let you know how much I've enjoyed watching the evolution of that vignette. It brings me joy.

Style Court said...

Patricia, thank you, thank you! That means a lot. I turned off the comments b/c when it's my own stuff it feels like fishing :)

Brilliant Asylum said...

No--please don't worry about phishing when it comes to your vignettes. We are going to comment anyway.
: )

I think the drum looks fantastic. If this lamp was a woman, I would say she looked ten years younger.

Style Court said...

Millie, just what I needed to hear :)

Alkemie said...

Great post! I really love Lulu's style too! And the shades on the lamp - it's am amazing how a shade can totally change the look of a lamp and subsequently affect the look as a whole.

Cote de Texas said...

C: the shade, fabulosa!!!! the best - I love it. I hope you keep it. wow, it just looks so much better imo.

Style Court said...

oh thanks Joni! So glad you like it.

Style Court said...

Alkemie thanks! Well said about the power of shades.

Mrs. Blandings said...

Courtney - no fishing would be implied - and look, it didn't work - we all had to get our two cents in, anyway!

The Peak of Chic said...

I want to comment too on your lampshade! It looks fantastic- both are great, but sometimes it's good to try something new. I LOVE that shade of blue- perfection!

Style Court said...

Jennifer, thanks on all counts! So glad you like the blue.

Helen said...

ooh those white bamboo chairs...i was drooling over those at barney's new york in the shoe department. i wonder where they got them?

Style Court said...

Helen,

Pieces in Atlanta, piecesinc.com, is a good source and I think Jonathan Adler has similar ones.

Helen said...

ahhh jonathan adler!! thanks!!!