Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

2.01.2008

Best Hideaways in Film




If I were organizing a fundraising designer showhouse, or even producing a magazine story, I'd ask a handful of my favorite decorators to share their own take on the island hideaway seen in 1999's The Thomas Crown Affair.

Although little of it is actually shown in the movie, this intimate house is one of my favorite film residences (among contemporary pictures.) I guess the appeal lies in the idea of it. Wouldn't you like to see what Tim Clarke or Schuyler Samperton would do with a place like this? Or maybe I should say, who would you choose to decorate it?

11 comments:

Brilliant Asylum said...

I agree--this is one of the best fantasy hideaways in film. Can I nominate myself? I just want to visit. Do I get to wear Rene Russo's wardrobe while I am at it?

LondonCalling said...

Mary McDonald. This is one of my favorite movies. I prefer it to the original.

Anna Spiro said...

Oh, thanks for reminding me about this beautiful place in that movie! It was truely romantic wasn't it!! (I would actually like to decorate it, pleeeeaaase!!!LOL)
XX
Anna

Habitually Chic said...

I love the original too which was shot in my old neighborhood of Beacon Hill in Boston. The remake was pretty fabulous though. The island scenes were shot on Mustique and the clothes were all from Celine. Can't go wrong with either of those things!

Style Court said...

Habitually,

I agree, the original is so cool.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see Tom Scheerer do the island hideaway. His own homes and others in the Bahamas (Lyford and Harbor Island) and the place he did in Hobe Sound, FL, are, to my eye, the perfect tropical escapes.

Style Court said...

Oh yes, Tom! His island work is amazing. And I'd love to see Mary's take too.

janetfinkel said...

What about Dr. No's hideaway - I just love the sixties and any of the villians' pads from James Bond!

All Things Bright and Beautiful... said...

This place has Anna Spiro written all over it - I can see her decorating it :-)

Style Court said...

Yes, the best lairs are in the Bond series :)

The Peak of Chic said...

I agree with you Courtney! (I'm also still pining for Russo's Michael Kors wardrobe.)