Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

1.17.2008

Textile Appreciation: Stylized Florals



[Above, Jackie admiring textiles in India, early 1960s; Lulu DK's hand-printed cotton "Moondance" in light blue.]



[Image of bench courtesy Ruthie Sommers.]

When it comes to fabric, I love all sorts of florals -- lush English roses, Asian designs. But since I was about eight-years-old, I've had a special affinity for stylized blooms. Quasi-naturalistic patterns that are fluid, yet also orderly like a geometric. Think Ottoman Empire or Indian-inspired. So yesterday I selected Home Couture's "Contessa" (third and fourth images above) from among several strong prints, for an upcoming project.


Designers and readers across the U.S. often send me images of furniture upholstered in a great stylized floral, whether an embroidered textile or a beautifully printed fabric. It's always hard to select just a few to share, but here are some standouts. Above, a Louis-XV-style bench madeover by Oregon-based Jen West using Brunschwig & Fils "Dzhambul."


Becky from Florida spotted a cache of chairs and stools upholstered with suzanis in West Palm Beach at Antiques and Oriental Rugs, 3635 South Dixie Highway. Contact: jmalekan@aol.com. (Speaking of embroidery, the Textile Museum in Washington, D.C. has a comprehensive collection.)

Contact Jen at jenwestdesign@comcast.net.

The groovy print on this old Herman Miller desk chair, below, has little to do with Indian and Turkish florals, but it is abstract and quasi-natural.


Paige, its owner, describes it as "either love it or hate it." Her husband does not like the chair at all. However, it makes Paige "smile every single time I walk into my office...it was originally covered in a rough textured black nylon/wool fabric," she says.

19 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

Courtney - an excellent choice! It's beautiful and I can't wait to see the finished product.

Style Court said...

thanks patricia!

MABELLE said...

Gosh- I get so much inspiration from your blog! You feature so many incredible textiles and books! I can't wait to show you my line of eco-fabrics/bedding. (although it's leaning very graphic these days.) Keep us posted with your project!

Style Court said...

Thanks Michelle! Keep me posted.

Brilliant Asylum said...

I have been searching for a name to describe this particular type of floral and "graphic" did not seem quite right. Thank you! Lovely images.

kelleyp said...

oh goodie, you picked. excellent choice.can't wait to see the end result. love that bench by Jenn west. Need a bigger home for such finds!

Style Court said...

Glad to help Millie :)

Style Court said...

Thanks Kelley P !

Pink Wallpaper said...

i adore lulu dk's moondance..so much i made it my DR draperies!

Anna Spiro said...

Great fabric selection for your bench!XAnna

Style Court said...

glad you like it Anna :)

LondonCalling said...

Can't wait to see the final product! Enjoy and am inspired by your blog very much. Recently explored the NY digital library. Thank you for that amazing source!

Style Court said...

London,
Thanks on all counts! Glad you liked the NY source :)

Cote de Texas said...

I love your choice. I really thought the kime would be it, you were showing it so much. I can't wait to see the new piece. so exciting.

Style Court said...

Thanks Joni. The Kime was so expensive and the Quadrille surprised me by looking even better with my curtains, lamps, chairs.

Jessica Claire said...

is that missoni's passiflora on the office chair?

Style Court said...

Jessica Claire,

I believe it is. But since I no longer have the reader's contact info, I can't confirm for certain :(

Alkemie said...

Went away on holiday but back to find so many delicious posts to catch up on! You've combined two of my all time favorite items - fabrics and chairs/sofas! WOnderful collection of examples!

Paige said...

Oh, sorry, just saw this! Yes, it is Passiflora. I forget the name of the colorway.