Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

1.08.2008

Emma and Claydon House



Emma images copyright © 1996 Miramax




Last night I caught a few minutes of Emma on TV and thought, "hmm...those intricate yellow-and-white walls look familiar..." Turns out the ballroom scene in Gwyneth Paltrow's 1996 film was filmed at Claydon House, a grand 18th century home designed by Luke Lightfoot with elaborate chinoiserie and rococo woodwork. These images of the stately country house, which I've mentioned before, are from John Fowler: Prince of Decorators, published by Frances Lincoln, 2007. Legendary decorator Fowler worked on Claydon at various points in the 20th century.

12 comments:

pve design said...

Like icing on the cake. Love that doorway.
Looks like a perfect spot for a decadent "Ball"-

Bayou Contessa said...

Courtney,
I loved that movie, both visually and literarilly. That rococco "icing" really thrills me. I love the way you make connections, you are truly a design sleuth. Thanks for the eye-opening post.
Julie

Style Court said...

julie, you are so sweet. Thanks. Yes, I thought the art direction was great. I"d like to learn more about the set designer.

The Peak of Chic said...

I was just poring over those photos again the other night. So incredibly beautiful, especially against those glorious colors Fowler chose!

Patricia Gray said...

What a magnificent monument Claydon House is...stunning!!!

www.passementeriesdiary.com said...

I just stumbled upon your gorgeous blog via the Peak of Chic - I will certainly be returning!

Style Court said...

Thanks Passementerie :)

moodboard said...

I too love this movie. I first bought it on vhs, wore it out, and recently purchased on DVD. It looks like set design was by Totty Whately, but she hasn't done much else.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116191/fullcredits

Ruth Meyers, the costume designer, was nominated for an Oscar for the clothing, which was the icing on the cake for me.

Style Court said...

Thanks Mood. I couldn't find much on Totty last night, but I'm going to try again :)

Anonymous said...

I adore that movie -- and sets were simply divine! Checked my copy of John Fowler -- don't you just love his sense of comfort but true style? LOVE that mirror! Thanks for another wonderful posting!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Style Court said...

Jan, yes great point about his sense of comfort!

Anonymous said...

Claydon was connected, I believe, to Florence Nightengale; her sister was the lady of the manor at one time, and Florence lived there with family before leaving for her nursing.

Robert Dyer, Innate Style