Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

12.13.2007

Shopping in France




Recently I was treated to a sneak peek at Vintage French Interiors: Inspiration from the Antique Shops and Flea Markets of France, and I have to admit it was a serious challenge to settle on just a few lovely images to share here.



The author, French lifestyle writer, Sebastien Siraudeau, is also the photographer. His lush pictures capture not only the charm of vintage pieces, but the creativity and passion of brocantuers (shopkeepers) who beckon customers with unexpected displays. Siraudeau sees the best brocantuers as new professionals, distinct from fine antique dealers and interior decorators.

So, in part the book is an homage to these talented dealers. Their approach to mixing periods, textures, and colors is intended to inspire. But at the same time, the book is a very helpful guide to vintage shopping in France, encompassing diverse styles such as industrial, elegant Old World, and rustic. Chapters cover Paris in great detail, as well as France's specialty regions from Normandy to Provence. I appreciated the appendix filled with addresses, web sites, and antique fair schedules.

For everyone not planning a trip to France, I think Siraudeau's photos and words will open their eyes to vintage pleasures awaiting in their own neighborhoods.

All images © Sebastien Siraudeau from Vintage French Interiors: Inspiration from the Antique Shops and Flea Markets of France, published by Flammarion. Scheduled release, March 2008.

11 comments:

casapinka said...

The photographs are truly amazing - must check this out.

Me, Myself, & I said...

I would love to get my hands on this book when its released. What beautiful photos and lucky you to get a sneek peek.

Fairfax said...

When I was spending a lot of time in Paris, I loved going to the little brocante markets that popped up on the weekends.

The Peak of Chic said...

Gorgeous photos! Looks like a winner.

beachbungalow8 said...

i've always loved a touch of french. i feel like the woman who started 'nest' in san francisco was one of the first to really solidify the idea of french flea market. she was doing this look more than 20 years ago.

if you ever get to sf, go to nest. you will be in heaven.

robyn said...

I love all of these photos, can't wait for the book.
Have a great weekend, just finished your wreath :)

katiedid said...

Looks like a great one!
Courtney...I have a virtual gift for you on my blog today! I saw it and thought of you. Merry Christmas!

Style Court said...

Thanks Robyn, thanks Katie!

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Great post, thanks. My Mom is always soliciting my advice on how to redo her house. Almost all of her furnishings were collected in France, Belgium and The Netherlands when we were posted there.

I think I just found her Christmas or birthday present...

Style Court said...

Oh good Elegant!

Lynn said...

That book looks fantastic! I can't wait to buy one next year. Thanks for letting us know!