Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

11.07.2007

Scanning Fabric (For Non-Commercial Use)


Above, my hastily scanned and badly centered remnant of KWID's "Imperial Trellis," in citrine. Below, Mary McDonald lined shower invitation envelopes with photocopies of a chic fabric. Baby shower image via HB.



Inspired by the original handmade touches designer Kelly Galvin Robson used in her California wedding, I thought I'd share a few more related images.

The creative team over at Martha Stewart often makes photocopies of textiles to use as gift-wrap or for handmade cards. And I think many of us flipped for the invitations (not to mention the office file cabinet) that Mary McDonald customized with photocopies of her favorite prints.



Images above, Melanie Acevedo for Domino, January/February 2006.

With the abundance of gorgeous gift-wrap and art paper on the market, the only reason to scan or photocopy textiles is simply to create something unique -- maybe surprise a friend with a gift wrapped in a coveted print. Or for a party, to continue a theme. Use an actual fabric on tables, for example, then incorporate paper copies of the material into invitations or favor boxes. Scanning and photocopying captures the texture of fabric. It also allows you to play with scale a bit.

The large-scale geometric I scanned above is probably a horrible choice -- much harder to work with than a loose forgiving floral. But I may use it to wrap a flat DVD for a friend who's crazy about "Imperial Trellis."


When my John Robshaw napkins arrive, it will be fun to try scanning them for gift-wrap too.

7 comments:

Mim said...

What a great idea! I adore lined envelopes and they are hard to find and expensive in Australia.

Any tips on how to line one without making the whole envelope from scratch?

Style Court said...

hi mim,
I used to have instructions and a template from Martha, I'll see if I can find it. Once I traced an open envelope onto patterned paper, cut it to size and inserted it -- used a glue stick.

Cote de Texas said...

This is such a great idea!!!!! I'm going to do this this Christmas. thanks!!!


Joni

kelly said...

one of my favorite things to do is to line the envelope with scrapbook paper... i know it sounds dorky but there are some great prints out there (cheetah, zebra, stripes, etc)and they cost just pennies! and scrapbook paper comes in a manageable size.

Mrs. Blandings said...

This is a great idea - I know Paper Source has envelope kits - maybe their templates would work for this kind of project.

girl meets glamour said...

Such a great idea! You know I use wallcovering samples to wrap gift as well...perfect size. So this year several people will be getting gifts wrapped in some fab Lulu DK samples :)

~Kate

Style Court said...

kate, your friends are so lucky :)