Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

11.17.2007

Rajasthan in England




Since I started reading John Fowler: Prince of Decorators, I've become obsessed with stately old British homes. (Fowler decorated so many.) Sezincote, above, is a sublimely eccentric example.

Built around 1805 as a Moghul folly, exotic Indian-influenced Sezincote served as inspiration for the now more famous Brighton Pavilion. These days the house may be rented for parties and weddings; I'd love to see Mary McDonald put together an event there.

BTW: For more on Sezincote's architecture, gardens and interesting mix of global styles, be sure to visit its official site.

2 comments:

Cote de Texas said...

Yes, the question is my dear - a country house in England or France? Which shall it be? I've never really put it bed. Maybe, live in an old country house in England, then vacation in an old country house in France. Perfection!


Joni

The Peak of Chic said...

I'm with you Courtney- what glorious houses!!! This one is a favorite of mine too!