Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

11.12.2007

Grandmother Chic




Last year I mentioned that my grandmother collected those intricate Estee Lauder compacts -- the type that contain solid perfume. Unfortunately we seem to have misplaced them. Now after seeing Lauder's vanity in House & Garden's farewell issue, I'd really like to find the vintage items. (A blown-up view of the photo better shows Christmas sugar cookies and a porcelain bird -- total grandmother style.)

If you know someone who appreciates these traditional compacts, this year's edition, a golden bell that actually jingles, is pretty cute.

Photo top by Francois Halard

5 comments:

ALL THE BEST said...

I was struck my this photo as well. I love the sentimental aspects of decorating. It very much reminded me of my grandmother's vanity...replete with Estee Lauder products.

moodboard said...

I can't say how much I love that wallpaper*sigh*.

a. said...

My mother collects them and probably has over 200! My grandfather was a VP of Marketing for Estee herself.

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't been able to locate the Dec. issue. I saw it at the car dealer the other day when I went to pick up my car and should have swiped it but I thought I would be able to get my hands on a copy. I need to try 7-11!

The Peak of Chic said...

Unfortunately, I don't have any of them! But, you've inspired me to possibly start a mini collection :)

Anna said...

Oh that dressing table tablescape is devine - love the blue & white ikat in the background too!!
XO
Anna